How It Happened
Rhode Island displayed a balanced offense as it rolled to a 100-77 victory over St. Thomas Aquinas in an exhibition game Friday night. Five different players scored in double figures and seven players had at least one assist for Rhode Island. Hassan Martin and E.C. Matthews led the attack with 17 points each.
St. Thomas Aquinas – which stunned St. John's by 32 points Wednesday night – opened the game by hitting four of its first five shots. The Spartans held a 9-4 lead 3:16 in.
Rhode Island responded with a 12-2 run over the next 3:11 that put the Rams ahead for good. Jared Terrell got things going with an old-fashioned 3-point play when he got fouled on a fast break dunk. Terrell had five points and an assist during the spurt – which also featured dunks by Martin and Earl Watson. The run gave the Rams a 16-11 edge.
Rhody steadily increased its lead from there, taking a 48-38 advantage into the break.
While the offense was strong from the start, Rhode Island's defense hit its stride in the second half. The Rams held St. Thomas Aquinas to a 2-for-13 performance from the floor to start the frame, paving the way for a 14-4 run that pushed Rhody's lead to 20 and put the game away.
Inside the Box Score
- Earl Watson gave the Rams quality minutes off the bench, finishing with 13 points, three rebounds and five blocked shots in 19 minutes.
- Hassan Martin had a strong night on both ends, as he recorded 17 points of 7-of-8 shooting to go along with six rebounds and five blocks.
- E.C. Matthews also had 17 points and added eight rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Jared Terrell has 12 points, four rebounds and three assists.
- Jarvis Garrett had nine points and three assists.
- Kuran Iverson finished with seven points and five rebounds before fouling out. He earned the start for the Rams and played 20 minutes total.
- Four McGlynn and Christion Thompson showed shooting touch from the outside, as each connected on a pair of threes. McGlynn had 11 points on the night, while Thompson chipped in six.
- Justin Reyes led St. Thomas Aquinas with a game-high 24 points and was 12-for-13 at the free throw line. However, he was limited to two rebounds. Against St. John's, he had 25 points and 12 rebounds.
- The Rams committed just five turnovers in the first half and finished the game with 13.
- Rhode Island had 15 assists, compared to four for St. Thomas Aquinas. Matthews, Terrell, Garrett and McGlynn each had three helpers.
- Newcomber Kuran Iverson joined returning starters Jarvis Garrett, E.C. Matthews, Jared Terrell and Hassan Martin in tonight's starting lineup.
- Twelve players saw the floor for Rhode Island, as Shane Plunkett and Rory Temkin got in for the final minute.
Stat of the Game
38 – Rhode Island got 38 points from its bench, led by Earl Watson (13) and Four McGlynn (11). Christion Thompson and Andre Berry had six each, and Nicola Akele scored two.
Rhode Island officially opens the 2015-16 season with a home game against American Friday, Nov. 13. Game time is 8 p.m.
As always, the Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.