How It Happened:
The Rams were outscored, 36-12, from the charity stripe and fell, 74-65 at Stanford in the second round of the NIT.
Rhode Island finished the 2014-15 campaign with a 23-10 overall record, which included a 13-5 mark in A-10 play and a return to the postseason for the first time since the 2010-11 season.
In the first half, Rhody fell behind 7-0 early and by as many as 13 points (31-18) with 2:31 to play in the period before closing on a 9-0 run. URI trailed 31-27 at the break. The Rams' defense held Stanford to 29.0% from the floor (9-31), while the Cardinal converted 12-of-14 from the foul line.
URI would get as close as one early in the second half, after two E.C. Matthews made it 36-35 with 16:04 to play. Stanford would respond quickly, scoring five unanswered points to push the lead back up to six. The Cardinal attempted 35 free throws over the final 20 minutes, building as much as a 13-point lead late.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* E.C. Matthews led the Rams with 23 points. He ends the season with 999 career points, poised to become the 52nd member of Rhode Island's 1,000 point club. The sophomore from Detroit also grabbed seven rebounds, dished out three assists and notched a steal in 35 minutes.
* Hassan Martin added 16 points, eight rebounds, four blocked shots, and two steals. With the four blocks today, the sophomore from Staten Island ends the season with 103 total - just the second player in URI history to reach triple-digits in rejections.
* T.J. Buchanan ended his Rhode Island career with six points, five rebounds and two assists in 19 minutes. Gilvydas Biruta closed out his collegiate career, adding seven points and two rebounds in 19 minutes.
* For the game, the Rams shot 42.1% (24-57), including 5-of-13 shooting from the perimeter. They were 12-of-21 from the foul line.
* Defensively, Rhode Island held Stanford to 34.0% (18-53) and just 2-of-13 shooting from 3-point land. The 36 free throws made - and 49 total attempts - accounted for 48.6% of the scoring for the Cardinal.
Stat of the Game:
36 - Rhode Island tallied 36 of its 65 points in the paint. URI post players were 8-for 19 (Martin 5-10; Biruta 3-6; Watson 0-1).
Rams Fall 74-65 at Stanford in NIT Second Round Matchup
How It Happened: