Game Notes vs. Stanford - NIT Second Round
TV: ESPNU - Dave Flemming; Sean Farnham
AUDIO: B101 (101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS STANFORD
- Rhode Island is 0-3 all-time versus Stanford, dating back to the 1977-78 season.
- The margin of victory in all three games is a combined five points.
- In the first meeting, the Cardinal downed the Rams, 76-74, on Dec. 22, 1977 in Maples Pavilion - one of just three road losses for Jack Kraft's NCAA tourney team.
- Rhody faced Stanford twice in the 1997-98 season - a regular season matchup at the Cable Car Classic (L, 70-69; Dec. 29, 1997) before a matchup in the Elite Eight.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE NATIONAL INVITATION TOURNAMENT
- This marks the 15th appearance all-time for the Rams in the NIT.
- URI holds a 14-15 all-time record in National Invitation Tournament play.
- Prior to this season, Rhody last made the NIT field in 2009-10, advancing to the semifinals at Madison Square Garden before losing, 68-67, to North Carolina.
- Rhode Island was involved in one of the most famous games in NIT history, when Ernie Calverley hit a 62-footer dubbed "The Shot Heard Round the World" versus Bowling Green on March 14, 1946 in the NIT quarterfinals.
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS THE PAC 12
- Rhode Island is 5-15 all-time versus Pac 12 opponents.
- Last year, URI dropped an 87-59 decision at #5 Arizona as part of the NIT Season Tipoff on Nov. 19, 2013.
- The Rams' last victory over a Pac 12 school was a 73-71 overtime buzzer beater against USC on Nov. 26, 2002 - the opening night of the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
RHODE ISLAND'S BASKETBALL RENAISSANCE
- With 23 wins through 32 games, URI has its best record since the 2009-10 season. That year, Rhody was also 23-9 through 32 games.
- On Feb. 28, Rhody reached the overall 20-win mark for the first time since the 2010-11 season (20-14).
- It also marked the first time since 2009-10 that the Rams reached the 20-win mark in the regular season.
- The Rams have registered two separate five-game win streaks in a single-season for the first time since 1997-98.
- Rhody has suffered back-to-back losses just once this season - vs. VCU (Jan. 13) and at UMass (Jan. 17).
RHODE ISLAND JUST ONE OF THREE "+9/+8" TEAMS NATIONALLY
- Rhode Island is +9 on its overall win total from 2013-14 to 2014-15 and +8 in its conference win total from a season ago.
- Last season, the Rams won 14 games and have 23 wins so far this year. In A-10 play, Rhody went from five A-10 wins to 13.
- Only four teams nationally have posted that much of an improvement overall and in league play:
- UC Davis (+13/+8), and Central Michigan (+12/+9) are the others.
- UC Davis and New Hampshire share the highest overall win improvement (+13) nationally.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 22
- Rhode Island is 1-1 all-time in games played on March 22. Both games were postseason games (1 NCAA, 1 NIT).
- In 1998, Rhody suffered the program's most crushing loss - 79-77 to Stanford in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Up 66-60 with 2:00 and 71-65 with 59.3 seconds to play, Stanford rallied to win and Rhody fans found a villain in Arthur Lee.
- Lee scored 13 of Stanford's final 19 points and threw the "choke" sign at Rhody's Tyson Wheeler twice as he attempted the potential game-tying three free throws with :05 left, with the Rams trailing 77-74.
- Rhode Island was victorious on March 22, 2010 at home over Nevada in the second round of the NIT, downing the Wolfpack 85-83.
- Delroy James poured in 34 points, while Keith Cothran added 16 points and passed Wheeler as Rhody's all-time leader in steals.
- The calendar date of March 22 also marks the celebration of National Bavarian Crepe Day.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Recapping the Iona win: There were several statistical milestones reached in the NIT first round win over Iona.
- URI's 88 points were the most scored versus a Division I opponent since putting 87 up at St. Bonaventure on Feb. 22, 2014.
- The 55 rebounds for the Rams were the most since corraling 54 vs. Maine on Nov. 8, 2013.
- It marked the second time this season that Rhody had five players score in double figures (vs. Delaware State, Dec. 13, 2014).
- It also marked the second time that two URI players grabbed at least 10 rebounds in a single game.
- Jarvis Garrett registered the first points/assists double-double (10 p/10 a) since Delroy James posted the program's only triple-double on March 16, 2011 (22 p/11 r/10a ) vs. Miami (Ohio).
- The last previous points/assists double-double was Lamar Odom (17p /11 a) vs. George Washington on March 5, 1999.
T.J. BUCHANAN - DEFINITION OF THE 6TH MAN
- T.J. Buchanan has been one of the best reserve players in the Atlantic 10 this season.
- Buchanan is averaging 5.7 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.2 steals and a 1.77:1 assist/TO ratio in 23 minutes of play per game.
- In A-10 play, the senior captain's averaged: 6.8 points, 3.9 boards, 2.4 assists, 1.3 steals, 1.47:1 assist/turnover, 24.8 min. per game.
- This season, the senior captain has led the Rams in steals (11 games), assists (10), rebounding (3), and blocked shots (3).
- Buchanan has led Rhode Island in at least one statistical category in 22 of its 31 games this season.
- Primarily a guard, Buchanan has played the both guard spots as well as both forward positions at times throughout the season.
THE JARED TERRELL FACTOR
- The Rams are 13-1 when Jared Terrell reaches double-figures in the scoring column.
- The lone loss for Rhode Island when Terrell had at least 10 points came vs. Georgia Tech during the Orlando Classic.
- When Terrell scores more than 10 points, Rhody is 13-0.
JARVIS GARRETT, FOR STARTERS
- Since entering the starting lineup on Jan. 17 at UMass, Jarvis Garrett is averaging 7.5 points and 3.3 assists per game.
- The freshman point guard has posted an assist/turnover ratio of 2.04:1 over the past 15 games, playing an average of 29 minutes.
- Included in those games are four games in double figures: 14 at Saint Joseph's, 13 vs. UMass, 13 at George Mason, 12 vs. GW.
- Prior to the UMass game, Garrett was averaging 5.0 points, 1.9 assists and had a 1.90:1 a/t ratio in 19 minutes (15 games).
- The Rams are 11-4 with Garrett in the starting lineup at point guard.
CONVERTING TO THE METRIC SYSTEM
- According to KenPom.com, Rhode Island rates well in several of his "Four Factors" basketball metrics - effective FG%, turnover%, offensive rebounding%, and FTA/FGA. Several of the metrics are listed in the shaded box to the left.
- FOUR FACTORS: In effective FG%, the Rams are 177th offensively (49.0) but 14th defensively (44.2).
- EFG% is measured by adjusting a FG% to include additional points from 3FG. TS% takes into account 2FG, 3FG, and FT.
- While the offensive turnover% is low (20.8%, 287th), Rhody's defensive turnover% of 22.1 is 22nd-best nationally.
- URI is 114th in offensive rebounding%, grabbing 32.6% of its chances. Rhody is 83rd in the country in DREB%, at 70.9%.
- Rhode Island's FTA/FGA marks are 47.7% offensively (6th).
- OTHER KENPOM METRICS: URI ranks 10th in adjusted defensive efficiency (91.2%). Defensive efficiency is defined by the total number of points allowed per 100 possessions.
- The Rams are the 73rd-best team in the nation in 2-point FG% offense, making 50.3% of their attempts from inside the arc.
- Defensively, Rhode Island ranks 77th in 2-point FG% defense, allowing just 45.2% shooting inside the perimeter.
GETTING DEFENSIVE - A DEEPER LOOK AT SOME OF THE NUMBERS
- KenPom.com ranks the Rams 10th nationally in defensive efficiency - 91.2 (points allowed per 100 possessions) and among the best in defensive eFG% (14th - 44.2%) and defensive turnover% (22nd - 22.1%).
- SCORING DEFENSE: The Rams are 17th nationally/1st in the A-10 in scoring defense, yielding just 59.3 points per game.
- Through 31 games, only 12 URI opponents have scored more than 60 points in regulation and five did not break the 50 point mark.
- URI held back-to-back opponents (La Salle & St. Bonaventure) to fewer than 50 points for the first time since the 2005-06 campaign.
- 3FG% DEFENSE: URI ranks 1st nationally in 3FG defense, yielding just 26.9% from beyond the arc.
- Only six opponents (Kansas, Brown, VCU, Saint Joseph's 2x, Iona) have made more than five 3FG in a game versus the Rams.
- FG% DEFENSE: The Rams' defense is holding foes to just 40.4% shooting from the floor - 67th nationally.
- In 13 of its 23 wins, Rhody has held its opponent under the 40.0% mark from the floor.
THE 20/2/0 CLUB
- Six Rhody players have posted at least 20 minutes, two assists, and zero turnovers in a game this season.
- T.J. Buchanan leads the way with eight games: (Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Detroit, VCU, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis).
- Other Rams with 20/2/0 performances: Jarvis Garrett, five (Nebraska, Delaware State, GW, SLU, Davidson); Gilvydas Biruta, three (Pace, Brown, Saint Louis); Jared Terrell, three (Massachusetts, Brown, at Saint Louis); Biggie Minnis, one (Iona); Jarelle Reischel, one (UMass Lowell).