TV: NBC Sports Network - Terry Gannon; Ben Howland; Carolyn Manno
STREAM: NBC Sports Live Extra
AUDIO: B101 (101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS GEORGE WASHINGTON
- The Rams play George Washington in the quarterfinal round of the 2015 Atlantic 10 Championship.
- In the lone regular season meeting between the two schools on Jan. 31, the Rams earned a 59-55 victory at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
- The win for URI snapped a four-game losing streak vs. the Colonials.
- George Washington holds a 30-25 lead in the all-time series
- Rhody is 2-4 all-time vs. GW in the A-10 Tournament, with the last meeting coming in the 2007 A-10 title game (GW 78, URI 69 - March 13, 2007).
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CHAMPIONSHIP
- In 52 games all-time in the Atlantic 10 Championship, the Rams are 21-31.
- URI has advanced to the semifinals of the A-10 Tourney 11 times (4-7 in those games) and the title game on four occasions (1-3).
- Rhode Island enters this year's conference tournament with the #3 seed - the highest since the 2008-09 season (#2 seed).
- Last year, the #11 seeded Rams dropped a 65-61 decision to #6 UMass on March 13 in last year's A-10 Tournament in Brooklyn.
- In 1999, Rhode Island won its only Atlantic 10 title, after Lamar Odom hit a 35-foot jumper as time expired, beating Temple, 62-59.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE - REGULAR SEASON
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81, URI has posted a 253-310 all-time mark in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Rhode Island's 13 wins rank as the second-most in program history. The Rams won 14 A-10 games during the 1987-88 season.
- This season, the Rams 11-3 record through 14 A-10 games set a new standard as the best start to conference play in program history.
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU, Davidson) and is the second-highest total in URI history (7 in 1987-88).
- URI was picked to finish sixth according to the 2014-15 A-10 Preseason Poll. Last year, Rhody was 5-11, finishing in 11th place.
RHODE ISLAND JUST ONE OF FIVE "+7/+8" TEAMS NATIONALLY
- Rhode Island is +7 on its overall win total from 2013-14 to 2014-15 and +8 in its conference win total from a season ago.
- Last season, the Rams won 14 games and have 21 wins so far this year. In A-10 play, Rhody went from five A-10 wins to 13.
- Only four teams nationally have posted that much of an improvement overall and in league play:
- UC Davis (+13/+8), Central Michigan (+12/+9), and UNC Wilmington (+8/+9) are the others.
- UC Davis and New Hampshire share the highest overall win improvement (+13) nationally.
HURLEY NAMED USBWA DISTRICT I COACH OF THE YEAR
- Dan Hurley earned the 2014-15 U.S. Basketball Writers District I Coach of the Year award.
- In his third season, Hurley guided Rhode Island to a tie for second place in the Atlantic 10 and the #3 seed in the league tournament.
- Rhode Island (21-8 overall; 13-5 A-10) is one of just four teams nationally to have a +7 overall win improvement and a +8 win improvement in conference play from the previous season.
- This season, the Rams registered their first 20-win regular season since the 2009-10 campaign (22 wins) and made program history with the best start to conference play - 11-3 in the A-10 through the first 14 games.
- URI also tied its best 16-game start (12-4) in A-10 play and had finished with second-best A-10 record for an 18-game season (13-5).
- Under Hurley, the Rams suffered back-to-back losses just once, while recording separate with three, five, and six-game win streaks.
- URI finished 13-2 at the Thomas M. Ryan Center and was 7-4 in true road games - including a 6-3 mark in A-10 away contests
- The six A-10 road victories tied for the most this season, along with VCU and Davidson.
E.C. MATTHEWS AND HASSAN MARTIN NAMED TO ALL-ATLANTIC 10 SECOND TEAM
- The sophomore duo of E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin were named to the 2014-15 All-Atlantic 10 Second Team.
- Matthews finished the regular season fifth in the A-10 in scoring, checking in at 16.6 points per game.
- The 6-5 guard from Detroit led the Rams in scoring in 16 games and tallied double-digits in the scoring column on 23 occasions.
- Matthews scored 20 or more points eight times this season - the sixth-highest total in the league this season.
- Matthews was a two-time A-10 Player of the Week (Nov. 24, Jan. 12) and was named to the weekly honor roll on six occasions
- Martin led the A-10 in two statistical categories - FG percentage (64.0%, 135-211) and blocked shots (88 blocks, 3.0 bpg).
- The 6-7 sophomore averaged 11.9 points (23rd in the league) and 7.7 rebounds (8th) and was named to the A-10's weekly honor roll seven times.
- He led Rhode Island in scoring eight times, rebounding 19 times, and blocked shots on 21 occasions.
- Martin and Matthews are Rhode Island's first postseason all-conference team honorees since the 2010-11 season (Delroy James, second team).
HASSAN MARTIN NAMED TO ATLANTIC 10 ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM
- In addition to All-Atlantic 10 second team honors, Hassan Martin was one of five players named to the league's all-defensive team.
- The Staten Island, native was one of the best defensive players in the country, ranking seventh nationally in blocked shots (3.0 bpg).
- He was also ninth in total blocks (88) and 77th in defensive rebounding (5.5 dreb/g).
- Martin blocked a URI record 10 shots vs. La Salle on Jan. 22, tied for the second-best single-game performance this season.
- He led the Rams in blocks in 21 games, had three or more blocks on 16 occasions, and blocked six or more shots in five games.
JARED TERRELL NAMED TO ATLANTIC 10 ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
- Jared Terrell earned a spot on the A-10's All-Rookie Team. - the third Rhody player to earn All-Rookie honors in the past two seasons.
- Terrell started the first 28 games of the regular season, only coming off the bench on Senior Day.
- The 6-3 guard ranked third on the Rams in scoring, checking in at 9.2 points per game.
- He leads the Rams - and ranks ninth in the A-10 - in steals, averaging 1.5 swipes per game.
- His 42 total steals are the most by a Rhody freshman since Zach Marbury in 1999-2000 (44).
- The Weymouth, Mass. native was a two-time A-10 Rookie of the Week (Feb. 2, Feb. 23) and was named the CBSSports.com National Freshman of the Week on Feb. 3 after averaging 17.5 pts, 4.0 reb, and 4.0 stl in a 2-0 week and wins over GW and Fordham.
- He scored in double figures on 13 occasions and the Rams were 12-1 in those games.
GILVYDAS BIRUTA NAMED TO ATLANTIC 10 ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
- Senior Gilvydas Biruta earned a spot on the league's All-Academic team for the second consecutive season.
- A double major - public relations/ writing & rhetoric - the Jonava, Lithuania native has compiled a 3.44 cumulative GPA.
- A Dean's List honoree, Biruta was recognized at the Feb. 25 game versus Davidson along with 200 other Rhody student-athletes.
- On the court, Biruta started all 29 games, averaging 8.1 points, 4.5 rebounds and shot 56.4% from the floor - fourth-best in the A-10.
- Biruta maintains a blog on GoRhody.com called "Wednesdays With Gilvydas," which chronicles his life on and off the court this year.
MATTHEWS, MARTIN ALSO NAMED TO USBWA ALL-DISTRICT I TEAM
- In addition to their Atlantic 10 honors, E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin were also named to the USBWA All-District I team.
- Martin and Matthews were among the 11 players named to the All-District I (Maine, Vt., N.H., R.I., Mass., Conn.) team.
- The sophomore duo were among four A-10 players named to the USBWA All-District teams. Cady Lalanne of UMass and DeAndre Bembry from Saint Joseph's were the others.
T.J. BUCHANAN - DEFINITION OF THE 6TH MAN
- T.J. Buchanan has been one of the best reserve players in the Atlantic 10 this season.
- Buchanan is averaging 5.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.2 steals and a 1.88:1 assist/TO ratio in 23 minutes of play per game.
- In A-10 play, the senior captain's averaged: 6.8 points, 3.9 boards, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals, 1.47:1 assist/turnover, 24.8 min. per game.
- This season, the senior captain has led the Rams in steals (11 games), assists (10), rebounding (3), and blocked shots (3).
- Buchanan has led Rhode Island in at least one statistical category in 21 of its 29 games this season.
- Primarily a guard, Buchanan has played the both guard spots as well as both forward positions at times throughout the season.
MARTIN 10 SHY OF RANKING FOURTH NATIONALLY IN FIELD GOAL %
- Hassan Martin is 10 field goals made shy of qualifying for the national rankings in FG%. NCAA minimums are 5 FGM/game.
- Martin would rank fourth nationally, connecting on 64.0% of his shots from the floor (135-211) - tops in the Atlantic 10.
- The URI single-season record for FG% is 61.2% (175-286), set by Kenny Green during the 1987-88 season.
THE JARED TERRELL FACTOR
- The Rams are 12-1 when Jared Terrell reaches double-figures in the scoring column.
- The lone loss for Rhode Island when Terrell had at least 10 points came vs. Georgia Tech during the Orlando Classic.
- When Terrell scores more than 10 points, Rhody is 12-0.
YOUTH IS SERVED DURING RHODY REVIVAL
- In terms of scoring and minutes played by freshmen and sophomores, Rhode Island ranks near the top of the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody frosh have played 25.4% of the team's minutes, while sophomores have played 32.4% - combining for third-most in the A-10.
- VCU leads the league in total minutes for freshmen (21.4%, 6th) and sophomores (38.9%, 2nd) - totalling a combined 60.3%.
- Scoring-wise, URI ranks second in combined scoring efforts (64.7%), with freshmen (22.1%, 4th) and sophomores (42.6%, 3rd).
- Saint Louis - getting 67.5% of its scoring from first (48.5%, 1st) and second-year (19.0, 10th) players - leads the A-10.