GAME NOTES vs. Saint Joseph's
TV: OSN - Keith Irizarry; Abu Bakr
AUDIO: B101 (101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
THE PRE-GAME SENIOR DAY EVENT WILL BEGIN AT APPROXIMATELY 1:40 PM.
WE ARE REQUESTING ALL FANS PLAN TO ARRIVE EARLY FOR THE CEREMONY
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS SAINT JOSEPH'S
- Rhode Island faces Saint Joseph's in the second of two regular season meetings.
- Earlier, Rhody lost 65-64 on Feb. 11 in Philly on a late 3-pointer by the Hawks.
- SJU holds a 57-40 lead in the all-time series record, which began in 1940-41.
- The Hawks have won the last five meetings, dating back to the 2011-12 season
- The average margin of victory over the last three games is just 2.7 points.
- Rhody is 24-22 all-time vs. Saint Joseph's at home.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 252-310 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- The Rams' 12-4 start tied the best start in A-10 play in program history.
- The 12 A-10 wins are also the most since the 1997-98 season (12-4).
- Rhody's six A-10 road wins tied for most in the league (VCU) and is the second-highest total in program history (7 in 1987-88).
- URI was picked to finish sixth according to the 2014-15 A-10 Preseason Poll.
- Last season, Rhody was 5-11 in A-10 play, finishing in 11th place in the standings.
- The Rams earned their 250th A-10 victory on Feb. 18, 2015 at home vs. UMass.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 130-71 all-time record in the Thomas M. Ryan Center and are 12-2 at home this year on the Alex and Ani Court.
- It marks the 10th time in venue history (13 years) that the Rams have won 10 or more home games.
- The Rams' first victory in the building was a 73-71 overtime affair vs. USC on Nov. 26, 2002.
RHODE ISLAND ENJOYING ONE OF THE PROGRAM'S BEST STARTS
- With 20 wins through 28 games, URI is off to its best start since the 2009-10 season. That year, Rhody was 21-7.
- Rhody has reached the overall 20-win mark for the first time since the 2010-11 season (20-14).
- It also marks the first time since 2009-10 that the Rams reached the 20-win mark in the regular season (22 regular season wins).
- In Atlantic 10 play, the 12-4 start through 16 games ties for the best start in program history (1987-88, 1997-98).
- The Rams have registered two separate five-game win streaks in a single-season for the first time since 1997-98.
- Rhody has suffered back-to-back losses just once this season - vs. VCU (Jan. 13) and at UMass (Jan. 17).
RHODE ISLAND JUST ONE OF 13 "+6/+7" TEAMS NATIONALLY
- Rhode Island is +6 on its overall win total from 2013-14 to 2014-15 and +7 in its conference win total from a season ago.
- Last season, the Rams won 14 games and have 20 wins so far this year. In A-10 play, Rhody went from five A-10 wins to 12.
- UC Davis and New Hampshire share the highest overall win improvement (+13).
- UNC Wilmington and Central Michigan have each posted +9 win improvements in conference games only.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 7
- Rhode Island is 14-10 overall, 1-0 in Atlantic 10 conference, and 4-3 in A-10 Tournament games played on the March 7 calendar date.
- The most notable March 7 game was in 1966, when URI and Davidson played in the NCAA Tournament, falling 95-65 in Raleigh, N.C.
- March 7 is busy with the celebrations of National Cereal and National Crown Roast of Pork Days.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhode Island is 5-1 in games played against Jesuit institutions of higher learning.
- Wins have come over Santa Clara, Fordham (2), and Saint Louis (2). The lone loss came against Saint Joseph's on Feb. 11.
- E.C Matthews has attempted 102 of his 172 3-point field goals in Atlantic 10 play.
- Hassan Martin's 88 blocks so far this season ranks him second on URI's single-season list, behind Kenny Green's 124 in 1989-90.
- Rhode Islandis 4-6 in its last 10 Senior Days. The Rams won last year's Senior Day game - 77-65 - over Fordham on March 5, 2014.
T.J. BUCHANAN - DEFINITION OF THE 6TH MAN
- T.J. Buchanan has been one of the best reserves in the A-10 this season and should be a leading candidate for 6th Man of the Year.
- Buchanan is averaging 5.5 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.2 steals and a 1.85:1 assist/TO ratio in 22.8 minutes of play per game.
- In A-10 play, the senior captain's averages: 6.5 points, 4.0 boards, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals, 1.41:1 assist/turnover, 24.5 min. per game.
- This season, the senior captain has led the Rams in steals (11), assists (10 games), rebounding (3), and blocked shots (3).
- Buchanan has led Rhode Island in at least one statistical category in 21 of its 28 games this season.
- Primarily a guard, Buchanan has played the both guard spots as well as both forward positions at times throughout the season.
MARTIN 10 SHY OF RANKING THIRD NATIONALLY IN FIELD GOAL %
- Hassan Martin is 10 field goals made shy of qualifying for the national rankings in FG%. NCAA minimums are 5 FGM/game.
- Martin would rank third nationally, connecting on 63.4% of his shots from the floor (130-205) - tops in the Atlantic 10.
- The URI single-season record for FG% is 61.2% (175-286), set by Kenny Green during the 1987-88 season.
YOUTH IS SERVED DURING RHODY REVIVAL
- In terms of scoring and minutes played by freshmen and sophomores, Rhode Island ranks near the top of the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody frosh have played 25.4% of the team's minutes, while sophomores have played 32.4% - combining for third-most in the A-10.
- VCU leads the league in total minutes for freshmen (21.4%, 6th) and sophomores (38.9%, 2nd) - totalling a combined 60.3%.
- Scoring-wise, URI ranks second in combined scoring efforts (64.7%), with freshmen (22.1%, 4th) and sophomores (42.6%, 3rd).
- Saint Louis - getting 67.5% of its scoring from first (48.5%, 1st) and second-year (19.0, 10th) players - leads the A-10.
CONFERENCE CALL - NOTABLE RHODY RANKINGS IN A-10-ONLY STATISTICS
- 17 games into the Atlantic 10 schedule, here are some highlights of where Rhode Island sits in the A-10-only statistical rankings.
- Individually, Hassan Martin leads in blocked shots (3.9 bpg) and FG% (60.3%). He is also sixth in rebounding (8.6 rpg).
- Jared Terrell is fourth in FT% (83.3%) and seventh in steals (1.6 spg). E.C. Matthews is tied for sixth in scoring (16.1 ppg).
- As a team, the Rams lead the conference in scoring defense (60.5 ppg), and blocked shots (6.4 bpg), second in 3FG% defense (.282), and third in steals (6.5 spg).
THE JARED TERRELL FACTOR
- The Rams are 12-1 when Jared Terrell reaches double-figures in the scoring column.
- The lone loss for Rhode Island when Terrell had at least 10 points came vs. Georgia Tech during the Orlando Classic.
- When Terrell scores more than 10 points, Rhody is 12-0.
JARVIS GARRETT, FOR STARTERS
- Since entering the starting lineup on Jan. 17 at UMass, Jarvis Garrett is averaging 7.1 points and 3.1 assists per game.
- The freshman point guard has posted an assist/turnover ratio of 2.17:1 over the past 12 games, playing an average of 28 minutes.
- Included in those 12 games are three games in double figures: 14 at Saint Joseph's, 13 vs. UMass, 13 at George Mason.
- Prior to the UMass game, Garrett was averaging 5.0 points, 1.9 assists and had a 1.90:1 a/t ratio in 19 minutes (15 games).
THE 20/2/0 CLUB
- Five Rhody players have posted at least 20 minutes, two assists, and zero turnovers in a game this season.
- T.J. Buchanan leads the way with eight games: (Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Detroit, VCU, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis).
- Other Rams with 20/2/0 performances: Jarvis Garrett, five (Nebraska, Delaware State, GW, SLU, Davidson); Gilvydas Biruta, three (Pace, Brown, Saint Louis); Jared Terrell, three (Massachusetts, Brown, at Saint Louis); Jarelle Reischel, one (UMass Lowell).
RHODE ISLAND'S RECORD WHEN...
- Shooting less than 40% from the floor - 4-2; between 40-44.9% -4-3; 45-49.9% - 5-2; 50% or better - 7-1
- Scoring less than 60 points - 4-3; 60-69 points - 7-5; 70-79 - 5-0; 80 or more - 4-0
- Holding Opponents under 40% from the floor - 11-1; between 40-44.9% -4-3; 45-49.9% - 4-2; 50% or better - 1-2
- Allowing less than 60 points - 13-1; 60-69 points - 6-5; 70-79 points - 1-2; 80 or more - 0-2
DAYS AND TIMES, WINS AND LOSSES
- Rhode Island is 7-6 in night games (after 5 p.m.) and 13-2 in day games so far in 2014-15.
- Additionally, the Rams are 7-6 during weeknights and 13-2 on the weekend.
- The winningest day of the week has been Saturday, with the Rams earning 10 wins. Losses this season have come on Tuesday (VCU, Dayton), Wednesday (Providence, Saint Joseph's, Davidson), Thursday (Kansas), Saturday (at UMass), and Sunday (Georgia Tech).