AUDIO: B101 (101.5 FM) - Steve McDonald; Don Kaull
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS GEORGE MASON
- Today's game marks the lone regular season game versus the Rams and Patriots.
- Rhode Island is 1-3 all-time against George Mason.
- The average margin over victory is just 3.5 points over the four games.
- Last year, URI and Mason played twice - in both A-10 and non-conference games.
- Rhody earned its first victory over Mason last season - a 71-69 overtime victory on Jan. 18, 2014 in Kingston. The game was an Atlantic 10 contest.
- Mason assistant coach Roland Houston is a 1982 graduate of Rhode Island.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 250-308 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- The Rams' 10 A-10 wins (so far) are the most since the 2008-09 season (11-5)
- URI is 10-3 for the first time since 2006-07 and for only the fourth time in history.
- Rhody had seven A-10 wins in January for the first time since the 2006-07 season.
- URI was picked to finish sixth according to the 2014-15 A-10 Preseason Poll.
- Last season, Rhody was 5-11 in A-10 play, finishing in 11th place in the standings.
- The Rams earned their 250th A-10 victory on Feb. 18, 2015 at home vs. UMass.
- Rhode Island played its 500th A-10 game all-time at Fordham (Jan. 18, 2012).
RHODE ISLAND ENJOYING ONE OF THE PROGRAM'S BEST STARTS
- With 18 wins through 24 games, URI is off to its best start since the 2009-10 season. That year, Rhody was 19-5 through 24 games.
- In A-10 play the 10-3 start is the best start since 2006-07. URI has started 10-3 in league play just four times in program history.
- The Rams have registered two separate five-game win streaks in a single-season for the first time since 1997-98.
YOUTH IS SERVED DURING RHODY REVIVAL
- In terms of scoring and minutes played by freshmen and sophomores, Rhode Island ranks near the top of the Atlantic 10.
- Rhody frosh have played 25.4% of the team's minutes, while sophomores have played 32.4% - combining for third-most in the A-10.
- VCU leads the league in total minutes for freshmen (21.4%, 6th) and sophomores (38.9%, 2nd) - totalling a combined 60.3%.
- Scoring-wise, URI ranks second in combined scoring efforts (64.7%), with freshmen (22.1%, 4th) and sophomores (42.6%, 3rd).
- Saint Louis - getting 67.5% of its scoring from first (48.5%, 1st) and second-year (19.0, 10th) players - leads the A-10.
MARTIN EIGHT SHY OF RANKING THIRD NATIONALLY IN FIELD GOAL %
- Hassan Martin is eight field goals made shy of qualifying for the national rankings in FG%. NCAA minimums are 5 FGM/game.
- Martin would rank third nationally, connecting on 62.9% of his shots from the floor (112-178) - tops in the Atlantic 10.
- The URI single-season record for FG% is 61.2% (175-286), set by Kenny Green during the 1987-88 season.
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - FEBRUARY 21
- Rhode Island is 25-12 overall and 3-5 in Atlantic 10 all-time in games played on the February 21 calendar date.
- The last February 21 win came in 2009 - a 77-58 victory at Fordham.
- February 21 also marks the celebration of National Sticky Bun Day.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- The Rams are 11-1 when Jared Terrell scores in double-figures. The lone loss was vs. Georgia Tech during the Orlando Classic.
- Terrell is also poised to become the first freshman since Keith Cothran (2006-07) to register at least 35 steals.
- T.J. Buchanan is shooting 69.3% from the FT line (52-75), but in the final five minutes of games, he jumps to 73.7% (28-38).
- Rhody is posting a +3.0 turnover margin over its last five games. Overall this season, the Rams are +1.3 through 24 games.
- In approximately 1600 possessions this season, URI has 1244 FG attempts - equating to a FGA% of 77.7% and PPP of 1.02.
CONFERENCE CALL - NOTABLE RHODY RANKINGS IN A-10-ONLY STATISTICS
- 13 games into the Atlantic 10 schedule, here are some highlights of where Rhode Island sits in the A-10-only statistical rankings.
- Individually, Hassan Martin leads in blocked shots (4.2 bpg) and is second in FG% (58.7%). He is also sixth in rebounding (8.8 rpg).
- Jared Terrell is second in FT% (85.7%) and fourth in steals (1.8 spg). T.J. Buchanan is fifth in steals (1.7 spg). E.C. Matthews checks in at eighth in scoring (15.4 ppg).
- As a team, the Rams lead the conference in blocked shots (6.8 bpg), rank second in scoring defense (60.2 ppg), are third in FG% defense (41.7%), and rank fourth in FG% (44.1%), 3FG% defense (28.9%), and steals (7.2 spg).
THE 20/2/0 CLUB
- Five Rhody players have posted at least 20 minutes, two assists, and zero turnovers in a game this season.
- T.J. Buchanan leads the way with eight games: (Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Detroit, VCU, La Salle, Richmond, and Saint Louis).
- Other Rams with 20/2/0 performances: Jarvis Garrett, four (Nebraska, Delaware State, GW, and Saint Louis); Gilvydas Biruta, three (Pace, Brown, Saint Louis); Jared Terrell, three (Massachusetts, Brown, at Saint Louis); Jarelle Reischel, one (UMass Lowell).
TERRELL NAMED NATIONAL FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK, A-10 ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
- Jared Terrell earned a trio of awards in early February, including the CBSSports.com National Freshman of the Week (Feb. 3).
- Additionally, Terrell earned both the ECAC (Feb. 3) and Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Feb. 2) awards.
- Terrell led the Rams in scoring in two key conference wins, averaging 17.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 4.0 steals in two games.
- The 6-3 guard shot 55.0% (11-20) from the floor and 90.9% from the charity stripe (10-11) over the two-game span.
- Against GW (Jan. 31), Terrell had 13 of his 17 points in the second half and notched a season-high six steals in 29 minutes of play.
- The Weymouth, Mass. native led Rhody with 18 points, four rebounds, two assists, and two steals in the Jan. 28 win at Fordham.
RHODE ISLAND IN GOOD COMPANY - AMONG TOP TEAMS IN FG%, FG% DEFENSE
- Rhode Island is one of just 18 teams nationally to rank among the top 70 in FG% and FG% defense (through games of Feb. 16).
- The Rams are 70th in FG% (46.0%) and 70th in FG% defense (40.2%)
- The other teams: #7 Arizona, Georgetown, Georgia St., #3 Gonzaga, Green Bay, #1 Kentucky, Michigan St., N.C. Central, #15 North Carolina, #24 Ohio St., SMU, South Dakota St., #11 Northern Iowa, #9 Utah, Valparaiso, Vermont, #6 Villanova, #2 Virginia.
GETTING DEFENSIVE - A DEEPER LOOK AT SOME OF THE NUMBERS
- KenPom.com ranks the Rams 11th nationally in defensive efficiency - 90.9 (points allowed per 100 possessions) and among the top 20 in defensive eFG% (20th - 44.3%) and defensive turnover% (17th - 23.2%).
- SCORING DEFENSE: The Rams are 16th nationally/1st in the A-10 in scoring defense, yielding just 58.7 points per game.
- Through 24 games, only 10 URI opponents have scored more than 60 points in regulation and five did not break the 50 point mark.
- URI held back-to-back opponents (La Salle & St. Bonaventure) to fewer than 50 points for the first time since the 2005-06 campaign.
- That season, the Rams limited Brown to 40 points on Nov. 26, 2005 before holding Boston University to 38 points on Nov. 29, 2005.
- 3FG% DEFENSE: URI ranks eighth nationally/1st in the A-10 in 3FG defense, yielding just 28.4% from beyond the arc.
- Only four opponents (Kansas, Brown, VCU, Saint Joseph's) have made more than five 3-point field goals in a game versus the Rams.
- FG% DEFENSE: The Rams' defense is holding foes to just 40.2% shooting from the floor - 70th nationally and 1st in the A-10.
- In 10 of its 18 wins, Rhody has held its opponent under the 40.0% mark from the floor.
109 STRAIGHT GAMES AND COUNTING
- Rhode Island has connected on at least one 3-pointer in each of the last 109 games.
- At Duquesne, URI tied its season-high of eight 3FG for the game - including 5-of-11 during their comeback in the second half.
- The last time the Rams were 0-fer from the perimeter came on Nov. 27, 2011 in a home loss to Cleveland State.