How It Happened:
A Gilvydas Biruta tip-in as time expired gave Rhode Island a thrilling 64-63 victory tonight at Rose Hill Gym.
Trailing by as many as seven points with 12:25 to play, Jared Terrell scored six unanswered points, cutting it to 48-47 with 10:38 to play. Both teams traded baskets for the next five minutes before Terrell struck again - this time with a 3-pointer, tying it at 53-53 (5:40).
Fordham countered with a trey on its next possession, but E.C. Matthews answered back with a deep trifecta and Biggie Minnis came up with a big plays on the defensive and offensive end. Minnis blocked Fordham's Jon Severe on a layup try, then drove the length of the court for a layup, giving URI its first lead of the second half (58-56, 4:31).
There were three ties and four lead changes over the final four minutes. Fordham took a one-point lead with nine seconds to play after two free throws, setting up the final play with the Biruta tip-in.
The first half saw five ties and three lead changes as Fordham led 32-31 at the break. The Bronx Rams connected on 50.0% (13-26) of their shots from the floor.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* Jared Terrell again led the Rams in scoring, with 18 points. The freshman guard was 6-of-11 from the floor, including 3-of-5 from the perimeter. He also had four rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
* Gilvydas Biruta added 12 points and nine rebounds - seven of them coming on the offensive end and none bigger than his last with 0.2 seconds on the clock. Biruta made 5-of-9 shots from the floor.
* E.C. Matthews added eight points, two rebounds and two assists in his return to the Rams' lineup. Matthews missed the St. Bonaventure game due to injury (foot).
* Jarvis Garrett and Earl Watson each tallied seven points. Garrett added three steals, while Watson registered five boards and two blocks.
* As a team, Rhody notched 10 steals - led by three each from Garrett and T.J. Buchanan.
* Buchanan also dished out a game-high five assists, as the Rams finished with 15 as a team. Rhody's assist percentage was 65.2% on the night.
* The Rams narrowly lost the battle on the backboard, 38-36, but pulled down 14 offensive caroms - good for 12 second-chance points.
* The win gave the Rams 14 - equalling last year's overall total and the sixth A-10 win surpassed last year's total of five.
Stats of the Game:
All nine players who saw action scored, while eight grabbed a rebound.
Rhody outscored Fordham, 32-26 in the paint.
The Rams host George Washington on Saturday, Jan. 31 at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
PLEASE NOTE: THE UPDATED GAME TIME IS NOW AT 4:00 p.m.
IF YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF A TICKET THAT HAS 2:00 p.m. PRINTED ON IT, PLEASE NOTE THAT IT IS STILL VALID FOR THE ADJUSTED TIME CHANGE AND SHOULD BE USED FOR GAME ENTRY ON JAN. 31.
The game will be televised live and can be seen live locally on OSN (Cox ch. 5/1005 HD), with clearances on SNY and MASN in the Tri-State and Mid-Atlantic regions. A live web stream will also be available on CoxHub.com.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.