How It Happened
Rhode Island (11-3, 3-0) rallied back from a 13-point second-half deficit, tying the score at 49-49 on an E.C. Matthews' three-pointer with 9:19 remaining in regulation. Duquesne (6-8, 1-2) reclaimed the lead on the next possession however, and remained on top until another three by Matthews gave Rhody a 59-58 advantage with 1:14 left to play.
A jumper by Micah Mason then put the Dukes in front 60-59 but a Duquesne foul with :08 on the clock sent Jared Terrell to the line, where he made both free throws to ice the 61-60 victory.
URI is now 3-0 in the Atlantic 10 for the first time since 1997.
Inside the Box Score
- The victory extends Rhode Island's win streak to six games - the longest such streak for the Rams since 2009-10.
- URI connected on a season-best eight three-pointers. The Rams also attempted a season-high 22 shots from long range.
- After shooting 27.6 percent (8-29) and scoring just 19 points in the first frame, Rhody returned from the break and netted 42 points on 46.4-percent shooting over the second 20 minutes of play.
- Despite not getting to the line in the first half, Rhody hit 11-of-13 attempts in the second half. The 84.6-percent showing from the foul line marked a new season-high for the Rams.
- E.C. Matthews scored a game-best 18 points for Rhode Island. He also dished out three assists and had four rebounds and a blocked shot.
- Hassan Martin double-doubled for this second time this season and sixth of his career. He finished the afternoon with 15 points, 10 rebounds, one block and one steal.
- Jarvis Garrett matched his career-best with 10 points.
- Jared Terrell nearly joined Matthews, Martin and Garrett in double figures as he netted nine points with four assists and a pair of boards.
- T.J. Buchanan led all players with five assists on the day. He also grabbed six rebounds for the Rams.
Stat of the Game
32:10 – Rhode Island left Pittsburgh with a victory, despite Duquesne leading for more than 32 of the game's 40 minutes.
The Rams return to the Ryan Center to host 20th-ranked VCU on Tuesday, January 13. Tickets for the 7:30 p.m. contest may be purchased by clicking here or by calling 401-874-RAMS.
As always, the Rhody Sports Network will air the game live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.