How It Happened
Rhode Island (8-3) maintained control throughout, taking a double-digit lead (25-14) midway through the first half after a three-point basket by Jarelle Reischel. Brown (7-7) cut its deficit to nine twice, but would not get any closer as URI took an 18-point advantage into halftime (46-28).
The Rams returned from the break and kept Brown off the board for the first four minutes, using a 7-0 run to take a 25-point lead at 53-28. Rhody continued to roll, taking its largest lead of the game (28 points) on a layup by Hassan Martin with 5:28 remaining. The Bears outscored Rhode Island 12-4 down the stretch, but URI's hot start allowed the Rams to hold on for the 80-60 victory.
URI has now held its opponents to 60-or-fewer points in four of its last five games.
Inside the Box Score
- Four different Rams scored in double figures, led by Hassan Martin's 17 points. E.C. Matthews added 12 while Biggie Minnis and Jarelle Reischel each finished with 10.
- Martin also recorded a game-high seven rebounds and three blocks.
- Minnis - whose 10 points were a season-best - dished out five assists with just one turnover.
- Gilvydas Biruta finished with nine points, three boards and a pair of assists.
- In just 14 minutes on the floor, Earl Watson blocked three shots and scored seven points on 3-for-3 shooting with a make from the free throw line.
- As a team, Rhode Island shot 75 percent from the charity stripe, connecting on 18-of-24 attempts.
- URI shot 50.9 percent (28-55) from the field, including a 46.2 percent (6-13) showing from three-point territory.
- The Rams also held a 38-27 advantage in rebounds.
- Rhode Island's bench outscored Brown's bench by a 24-8 margin.
- The Rams finish non-conference play at 8-3, including a perfect 6-0 record at The Ryan Center.
Stat of the Game
40:00 – Through 40 minutes of play, Rhode Island never trailed. The game was tied once - at 5-5 with 18:17 remaining in the first half.
The Rams return to action on Jan. 3, when they open Atlantic 10 play with a 3 p.m. (Eastern) game at Saint Louis. The Rhody Sports Network will carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull.