How It Happened:
E.C. Matthews led all scorers with 27 points, but the Rams fell to Providence, 68-60, at the Dunkin Donuts Center on Wednesday night.
Providence had two players in double-figures to answer 18 combined points from Matthews and Hassan Martin, and the Friars took a 31-26 lead into halftime.
Rhody opened the second half on an explosive 6-0 run, highlighted by Hassan Martin and Jared Terrell dunks, taking a 32-31 lead, minutes into the second frame. Providence answered with an 8-2 run of their own, retaking the lead and extending it to 39-34 with 14:35 left.
Rhode Island's full court press caused trouble for Providence in the final minutes and the Rams went on a 10-3 run to make it a 63-60 Friars lead. Providence went on to score the final five points of the game and took the 68-60 victory.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* Matthews led all Rhode Island scorers with a season-high 27 points, ten of which came before halftime.
* He also added three rebounds in his sixth double-digit night of the season.
* The sophomore guard was 9-15 from the field and 6-8 from the free throw line.
* Martin added 12 points and five rebounds, his fourth game with at least 10 points and five boards.
* Gilvydas Biruta battled foul trouble throughout, but added six points and five rebounds on 3-4 shooting. He also added two assists.
* Rhode Island shot 47 percent from the floor (22-47) and were above 50 percent in the second half.
* The Rams had 34 points in the paint and 10 second chance points.
Stat of the Day:
27 - E.C. Matthews' season-high point total of 27 points is the most points scored by a Ram in any game this season.
The Rams return home to host the Delaware State Hornets on Saturday, December 13. Tipoff at the Ryan Center will be at 2:00 p.m.
The game is available live on the Ocean State Network, as well as live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins 30 minutes before tipoff.