What It Means:
Rhode Island opened the 2014-15 regular season with a convincing 94-54 win over Pace.
The Setters scored the first bucket of the contest at the 18:54 mark, giving them their only lead of the game. The Rams rolled the rest of the way, building as much as as 43-point lead midway through the second half (76-33, 10:51 left).
Rhode Island tallied 51 points in the first half - its highest point total in a half since tallying 52 vs. Maine in last season's opening night win.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond:
* Five Rhody players tallied double figures in the scoring column, led by a career-high 21 points (8-11 FG) from Hassan Martin. The sophomore forward added eight rebounds, a blocked shot and a steal in just 17 minutes.
* Gilvydas Biruta registered his first double-double of the season - and 11th of his career - with 15 points, 11 rebounds, and three assists. The senior forward was also efficient in his 27 minutes, registering three assists (zero turnovers) and one steal.
* Matthew Butler came off the bench to add 12 points - also a career-best. He was 4-of-7 from the floor (2-4 3FG) and added three rebounds in 17 minutes of play.
* E.C. Matthews (14 points) and Jared Terrell (11 points) were the other two in double-figures on the evening. Terrell earned the start in his first collegiate game, adding three assists, a block, and three steals in 21 minutes.
* Rhody had 18 assists on its 36 field goals, for an assist rate of 50%. They committed just 11 turnovers and tallied 11 steals.
* The Rams scored 25 points of Pace's 17 turnovers. URI also dominated in the paint, registering 54 of its 94 total points at close range.
* Jarvis Garrett had an all-around solid game in his debut. Coming off the bench, he posted a line of eight points, two boards, three assists and three steals in 19 minutes. He and Biggie Minnis combined for seven assists and one turnover.
* Earl Watson also saw his first action as a Ram, with eight points, three rebounds, and two blocked shots in 12 minutes.
Stats of the Day:
+23 - Rhode Island held a 25-2 edge in points off turnovers.
62.5% - The troika of Martin, Matthews, and Biruta combined to shoot 20-of-32 from the floor on the night.
The Rams host UMass Lowell on Sunday afternoon in a 2 p.m. tilt. The game can be seen live on CoxHub.com, with Mike Mancuso and Chris DiSano providing the call.
The Rhody Sports Network will also carry this - and every game - live on B101 (101.5 FM), with Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. The pre-game show begins at 1:30 p.m.