Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Vargas (1B), Laske (C), Coutts (DH), Brodeur (2B), McManus (3B), Cavaliere (LF), Mircovich (RF), Walker (P)
Candelaria (CF), Jones (3b), Mardiney (LF), Lebel (RF), Fontes (DH), Bazin (SS), Centracchio (1B), Nussbaum (C), Frey (2B), Hudson (P)
How it Happened
Sixth-seeded Rhode Island was unable to come back from an early deficit against second-seeded Davidson, and URI's season came to an end with a 4-2 loss at the Atlantic 10 Championship Thursday night.
Davidson jumped all over Rhody starter Jake Walker, scoring three runs in the top of the second for the early advantage. Cam LaFleur replaced Walker in the top of the third, where Max Bazin went yard for to extend the Wildcats' lead to 4-0.
Rhody got a run back in the bottom of the inning as Brett McManus led things off with a double to right center and later scored on a Greg Cavaliere groundout.
LaFleur got Rhody through the sixth inning only allowing the one hit to Bazin. His outing kept the Rams in the game until a rally in the bottom of the seventh. Josh Brodeur bunted for a single with one out, and McManus followed with a single. The ball bounced over the glove of Davidson centerfielder Trevor Candelaria, allowing Brodeur to score and cut the deficit to 4-2. Max Mircovich then singled and Austin White walked to load the bases, but a fly out ended the threat.
The Rams again got the potential tying runs on base in the eighth inning. Xavier Vargas led off with a walk, and Jackson Coutts walked with one out. However, a strikeout and groundout ended the inning.
Rhode Island again brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth inning. Cavaliere was hit by a pitch. However, pinch-hitter Sonny Ulliana and Austin White struck out before Kevin Heiss launched a long fly ball to right field, but it was caught just in front of the wall.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Brett McManus doubled, singled and scored a run.
- McManus' third-inning double was his 30th career extra-base hit. He finishes his career with 23 doubles, four triples and three home runs.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur singled and scored once.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich singled and walked.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere walked, was hit by a pitch and drove in a run.
- Redshirt senior Cam LaFleur struck out four and allowed just one run on one hit through four innings out of the bullpen.
- Junior Vitaly Jangols pitched a scoreless seventh before redshirt junior Tyler Brosius wrapped things up with two innings of no-hit relief.