Rhode Island Starters
White (CF), Brodeur (2B), Vargas (1B), Cristino (C), Coutts (DH), Heiss (SS), Mircovich (RF), McManus (3B), Cavaliere (LF), Wilson (P)
La Salle Starters
Sorrels (SS), Faso (RF), Levins (C), McGowan (2B), Guckin (1B), O'Day (DH), Cucinotta (CF), Evans (LF), Mulhall (3B), Kelley (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island clinched its spot in the 2019 Atlantic 10 Tournament with a 13-3 victory over La Salle Friday afternoon in Philadelphia. The Rams led through the entirety of the game and scored in every inning but the second.
The Rams used another two-out rally in the top of the third. Josh Brodeur and Vargas both singled before Jordan Laske was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Jackson Coutts and Kevin Heiss then drew consecutive walks to push across Bordeur and Vargas and give Rhody a 3-0 lead.
An RBI single by Brodeur plated Brett McManus in the top of the fourth before the Rams stretched their lead to 8-0 in the top of the fifth. There, Laske scored on a sac fly by McManus and Greg Cavaliere doubled to drive in Coutts and Max Mircovich before scoring on a base hit by Austin White.
McManus then singled to second in the top of the sixth, driving in Vargas for the 9-0 advantage. La Salle finally got on the board in the bottom of the inning, pushing across a trio of runs to make it a 9-3 ballgame.
Brodeur extended Rhody's lead to seven in the seventh inning, scoring from second on a two-out single Coutts.
Heiss walked in the eighth, and later scored on a single by White to make it 11-3 Rhode Island.
A sloppy ninth inning allowed the Rams to push it to 13-3 as a Laske triple, a La Salle error and three hit batsmen gave Rhody the 10-run lead. Tyler Brosius then retired the Explorers in order in the bottom of the inning to seal the win.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rams combined for 17 hits, their most since also recording 17 at UMass Lowell on April 2.
- Six of Rhody's 17 hits were for extra bases as the Rams finished with one triple and a season-high five doubles.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas singled, doubled twice, walked once and scored three runs.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur also had three hits while stealing a base, scoring two runs and recording one RBI.
- Redshirt freshman Jordan Laske singled, triple and scored a pair of runs for the Rams.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts and senior Brett McManus both went 2-for-4 with two RBI and one run scored.
- Senior Kevin Heiss had a base hit, three walks, one run scored and two RBI. His 37 walks tie him with Kevin Stenhouse (2013) for the second-most walks in a season in program history. He is three walks shy of tying Chris Famiglietti (2012) for the single-season record of 40.
- Freshman John Cristino hit an RBI double in his lone plate appearance of the day.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere doubled, drove in two runs, stole a base and scored once.
- Sophomore Austin White had two hits and drove in two runs.
- Redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich walked, stole a base and scored one run.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Wilson earned the win, striking out six and allowing just five hits over a 5.2-innings start.
- Redshirt senior Cam LaFleur (2.0) and redshirt junior Tyler Brosius (1.1) combined for 3.2 innings of no-hit relief.
The Rams and Explorers return to DeVincent Field to close out the regular season at noon on Saturday.