Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Vargas (1B), Cristino (DH), Coutts (LF), Mircovich (RF), Brodeur (2B), Ulliana (C), McManus (3B), Cherry (P)
Nocerino (CF), Prato (SS), Woolworth (2B), C. Fedko (DH), P. Winkel (C), K. Fedko (RF), C. Winkel (1B), Dunlop (P)
How it Happened
Rhody jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning as Austin White led things off with an infield single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Kevin Heiss and then scored on a base hit by Xavier Vargas.
UConn erased URI's lead in the bottom of the frame however, evening things up at 1-1 on an RBI single by Anthony Prato. John Toppa - who scored the first run of the game for the Huskies - crossed the plate again in the third to put Connecticut on top 2-1.
The Rams had runners in scoring position in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings but were unable to do any additional damage. Rhody then sent the minimum to the plate through the final three innings, eventually falling by a final score of 2-1.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomores Xavier Vargas and Max Mircovich each both went 2-for-4 at the plate. Vargas also drove in Rhody's lone run of the game.
- Sophomore Austin White singled and scored a run.
- Freshman John Cristino reached base twice, on a single and a walk.
- The Rams 7-9 hitters combined to go 0-for-10 on the day.
- Redshirt freshman Justin Cherry started for the Rams, and allowed one run on two hits in the bottom of the first.
- Junior Vitaly Jangols was charged with the loss, replacing Cherry in the second and giving up one runs on five hits over three innings of relief work.
- Junior Jake Walker faced the minimum in two scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
- Redshirt senior Cam LaFleur and redshirt junior Tyler Brosius each threw an inning of shutout relief.
Rhode Island returns home to host a three-game Atlantic 10 series against George Mason, Friday-Sunday.