Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Brodeur (2B), Coutts (DH), Vargas (1B), Cavaliere (LF), Heiss (SS), Ulliana (C), Fortin (3B), Butler (RF), Jangols (P)
Ward (LF), Ciliento (RF), Titus (SS), Wright (1B), Owens (C), Angelini (CF), Castronvo (DH), Nicolas (2B), Hart (3B), MacDonald (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island won a wild battle at Bryant Tuesday afternoon, taking over the lead four different times and finally using a four-run ninth to win 16-12.
Despite finding themselves in a 5-0 hole after the first inning of play, the Rams pulled ahead in the top of the third. Xavier Vargas got things started, scoring on a second-inning groundout by Kevin Heiss to make it a 5-1 game. Rhody used a two-out rally to get back in it the following inning, thanks to a pair of two-run singles by Heiss and Jackson Coutts, as well as a two-run double by Sonny Ulliana.
Bryant got two runs back in the home half of the inning however, and then reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the sixth on a three-run homer by James Ciliento.
A two-out RBI single by Coutts tied it back up at 10-10 in the top of the seventh, but Bryant moved back in front by a run in the bottom of the frame when Nick Angelini crossed the plate to make the score 11-10.
The Rams battled back once again, scoring two runs in the bottom of the eighth without ever putting a ball in play. Three walks, two wild pitches and a passed ball allowed Cavaliere and Heiss both to cross the plate and put URI back on top 12-11.
Bryant knotted the score back up in the bottom of the inning before Rhody finally put the game away in the top of the ninth. There, Vargas blasted a three-run homer and Heiss followed with a solo shot - the first of his career - for the eventual 16-12 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Kevin Heiss hit his first career home run in the top of the ninth inning, going yard for the first time in 434 career at-bats. Overall, he finished the day with two hits, two walks, four RBI and three runs scored.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas went 4-for-5 with three doubles, one home run, four RBI and three runs scored.
- Sophomore Jackson Coutts also had four hits on the day, while scoring once and driving in three runs.
- Sophomore Austin White singled, doubled, walked once and scored three runs.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur drew a pair of walks, doubled and scored once.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana singled, doubled and drove in two runs.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere singled, walked, was hit by a pitch, drove in a run and scored one of his own.
- Freshman Joe Fortin doubled, walked and scored one run.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Brosius pitched the final three innings for the Rams, earning the win and improving to 5-0 on the season. He allowed two runs (one earned) in the win, marking the first time since March 15 that an opponent has scored on him. During that span, Brosius pitched. 14.0 consecutive scoreless innings.
Rhode Island travels to Hartford for a Wednesday night game against the Hawks. First pitch at Dunkin' Donuts Park is set for 6:05 p.m.