Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (LF), Vargas (1B), Cristino (C), Brodeur (2B), Butler (RF), Laske (DH), Coley (3B), Jangols (P)
UMass Lowell Lineup
McCaffrey (LF), Climo (RF), Roden (DH), Passatempo (1B), Martin (CF), Marchena (SS), Maurice (C), Gallagher (2B), Tumosa (3B), Funaro (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island cruised past UMass Lowell 17-6 Tuesday afternoon at LeLacheur Park. The Rams took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first and never trailed at any point, drawing a season-high 18 walks to ease their way to the win.
Leading 5-3 after five innings, Rhode Island erupted in the sixth inning, sending 11 hitters to the plate and scoring six runs on four hits and five walks. After four consecutive one-out walks - to Mark Coley, Austin White, Kevin Heiss and Jackson Coutts - Xavier Vargas, John Cristino and Josh Brodeur kept the carousel going with three straight RBI singles. Billy Butler then sent a sacrifice fly to centerfield to plate Vargas and put Rhody up 10-3.
The Rams (11-13) tacked on two more runs in the top of the seventh as Vargas singled to score White. Cristino followed with a fielder's choice ball that plated Greg Cavaliere, pushing URI's lead to 13-3.
Rhody stretched it to 17-3 in the top of the ninth, scoring four more runs on one hit, four walks and two hit batters.
UMass Lowell (6-20) managed to push across three runs in the bottom of the ninth, but the damage had already been done as the Rams left victorious, 17-6.
Inside the Box Score
- As a team, Rhode Island drew a season-high 18 walks while combining for 10 hits, all of which were singles.
- Eleven of the 12 players to record a plate appearance reached base at least once.
- Ten different players scored at least one run, eight had at least one hit, eight had at least one RBI and seven were walked at least once.
- Freshman Mark Coley and redshirt freshman Jordan Laske each singled, drew four walks and scored twice. Coley also drove in a pair of runs.
- Senior Kevin Heiss went 2-for-5 with two walks, two runs scored and one RBI.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas also went 2-for-5 while scoring once and driving in two runs.
- Redshirt sophomore Josh Brodeur and sophomore Austin White both were walked three times. Brodeur also singled, scored twice and had one RBI while White was hit by a pitch, stole a base and scored three runs.
- Junior Jackson Coutts singled, walked, drove in two runs and scored one of his own.
- In three plate appearances, junior Greg Cavaliere singled, walked and scored twice.
- Freshman Joe Fortin was hit by a pitch in his only plate appearance. He went on to score a run later that inning.
- Freshman John Cristino singled, had two RBI and scored once.
- Redshirt senior pinch hitter Sam Ilario was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in his lone plate appearance of the afternoon.
- Junior Vitaly Jangols earned his first win of the season, allowing three runs on seven hits over a 5.0-inning start. He also recorded five strikeouts.
- Redshirt freshman Nate Seprosky struck out three and allowed just one hit over three innings of relief work.
Rhode Island returns to Bill Beck Field to host in-state rival Bryant, Wednesday at 3 p.m.