Rhode Island Lineup
Mircovich (CF), Cavaliere (LF), Cristino (DH), Vargas (1B), Ulliana (C), Cherry (SS), McManus (2B), Butler (RF), Coley (3B), Walker (P)
Walsh (DH), Holzwasser (SS), Farrell (1B), DiLoreto (LF), Costello (RF), Rosen (2B), Solomon (3B), Peterson (CF), Mazza (C), Rodriguez (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (8-12) jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second as Justin Cherry doubled to lead off the inning and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Mark Coley. The following inning, an RBI single by Xavier Vargas plated Greg Cavaliere and gave the Rams a 2-0 advantage.
Meanwhile Jake Walker allowed Northeastern (12-12) just two hits through the first five innings while Rhody maintained the two-run lead.
Rhody doubled its lead in the top of the sixth with John Cristino sending a two-out, two run single through the left side to drive in Austin White and Brett McManus. The Rams tacked on three more in the their next trip to the plate, thanks to an RBI single by White, another sac-fly from Coley and a bases-loaded walk to Greg Cavaliere. Sonny Ulliana then scored on a groundout by White in the eighth inning to push URI's lead to 8-0.
After Jon Morrison and Cam LaFleur tossed a scoreless seventh and eighth, respectively, Mark Silvestri wrapped things up with a scoreless ninth, giving the Rams their first shutout victory of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt freshman Justin Cherry went 3-for-5 with two doubles and two runs scored.
- Senior Brett McManus had a pair of hits, walked once and scored twice.
- Freshman John Cristino and redshirt sophomore Max Mircovich each singled twice for the Rams. Mircovich also was hit by a pitch twice while Cristino drove in a pair of runs.
- Junior Greg Cavaliere was 1-for-3 with three walks. He had one RBI and scored one run.
- Sophomore Xavier Vargas had a pair of base hits and one RBI.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana walked twice and scored two runs.
- Sophomore Austin White singled, drove in two runs and scored one of his own. He also stole his third base of the season.
- Freshman Mark Coley had two RBI on a pair of sacrifice flies.
- Junior Jake Walker earned the win, allowing just three hits through six shutout innings. He struck out five and walked two while lowering his ERA to 1.46 on the season.
- Freshman Jon Morrison, redshirt senior Cam LaFleur and senior Mark Silvestri each threw a scoreless inning of relief to preserve the shutout.
The Rams return to Kingston to host Fordham in a three-game Atlantic 10 series this weekend.