Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Cavaliere (LF), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Ulliana (C), White (RF), Hill (3B), Murphy (P)
Garrity (CF), Echols (LF), Meehan (SS), Smith (1B), Hagan (DH), Tirotta (2B), Cleary (RF), Montoya (C), Yamada (3B), Cline (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island saw its 11-game win streak come to an end Friday, in a 9-4 loss to Dayton.
The Rams (19-26, 9-10 A-10) took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second when Xavier Vargas scored on a groundout by Sonny Ulliana. Vargas scored again in the top of the sixth - this time on a fielder's choice ball by Ulliana - to give URI a 2-0 advantage.
Dayton (17-29, 7-12) cut the lead in half in the bottom of the inning however, before using a seven-run seventh to take an 8-2 lead.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Xavier Vargas singled, tripled, walked, scored twice and drove in a pair of runs for the Rams.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts singled and walked to extend his reached-base streak to a team-best 30 consecutive games. He also crossed the plate once.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana drove in two runs, despite an 0-for-4 day at the plate.
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy allowed just one run on three hits over a 6.0-inning start. He struck out four and issued no walks.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss was charged with the loss, giving up five runs (four earned) on three hits and a walk in the bottom of the seventh.
The Rams and Flyers return to Woener Field for Game 2 of the series, Saturday at 1 p.m.