Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Ulliana (C), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Foley (RF), Mircovich (LF), Hill (3B), Stathopoulos (P)
La Salle Lineup
Constantine (SS), Sorrels (DH), Faso (LF), Guckin (C), Dudeck (CF), Evans (RF), Arnold (1B), Toal (3B), Rivera (2B), Scanlon (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (19-25, 9-9 A-10) completed its second straight Atlantic 10 weekend sweep, defeating La Salle 7-1 to improve to 9-9 in conference play. The victory was the 11th in a row for the Rams, giving them the longest active win streak in the nation.
For the second day in a row, Rhody got all the offense it would need very early on, scoring four runs on four hits - three of which were for extra bases - in the bottom of the second inning. Mike Foley got the rally started with a one-out walk before scoring on a triple by Max Mircovich. An RBI double by Laurence Hill then made it 2-0 URI. Jordan Powell followed with Rhody's second triple of the inning, plating Hill for the 3-0 advantage.
That would do it for La Salle starter Colin Scanlon, who was lifted after just an inning and a third. Kevin Heiss - the first hitter to face reliever Nick Mancuso - then added to the Rams' lead with a single to center that drove in Powell and made it a 4-0 ballgame.
From there, Taso Stathopoulos proved to be more than the Explorers could handle, facing the minimum in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings. The Rams' starter allowed just one hit on the day - a one-out triple in the second - which he followed with back-to-back strikeouts to escape the frame unharmed.
A two-run shot by Sonny Ulliana stretched Rhode Island's lead to 6-0 in the bottom of the seventh, before La Salle pushed across its lone run of the game in the top of the eighth. Brett McManus responded with a ground-rule double to lead off the bottom of the inning however, and Mike Foley later sealed the 7-1 victory when he singled up the middle to drive in pinch-runner Josh Brodeur.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos picked up the win, striking out five and allowing just one hit over six shutout innings.
- Sophomore Nick Robinson - who missed the Rams' last 17 games with an injury - returned to the mound for the first time since March 31 and tossed a scoreless ninth.
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols also recorded an inning of shutout relief, facing the minimum in the top of the seventh.
- Eight of Rhody's nine starters had a hit in the win.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana hit his second home run of the season, a two-run shot in the bottom of the seventh. He also threw out Peyton Sorrels on La Salle's only stolen base attempt of the game.
- Senior Jordan Powell and redshirt freshman Max Mircovich both tripled, scored and drove in a run. Mircovich also reached once on a walk.
- Juniors Brett McManus and Laurence Hill both doubled for the Rams. Hill also added a run and an RBI, both of which came in the second inning.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts extended his reached-base streak to 29 consecutive games, singling once and reaching once on a walk.
- Junior Kevin Heiss also singled and walked for URI, while adding an RBI as well as the game's lone stolen base.
The Rams are back in action next weekend when they travel to Dayton for a three-game set against the Flyers.