Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Cavaliere (C), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Foley (LF), White (RF), Daller (3B), Wilson (P)
La Salle Lineup
Constantine (SS), Toal (3B), Faso (LF), Guckin (DH), Dudeck (RF), Arnold (1B), Cucinotta (CF), Rivera (2B), Simon (C), Janss (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (18-25, 8-9 A-10) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first, getting the only offense it would need on a two-out, two-run single by Xavier Vargas. Kevin Heiss and Jackson Coutts both scored on the play, after having drawn back-to-back walks with one away.
La Salle (14-33, 4-13 A-10) plated it's lone run of the game in the top of the fifth when Austin Constantini singled to center to drive in Jack Cucinotta. Yan Carlo Rivera also tried to score on the play, but was called out at the plate on a perfect throw home by Rhody centerfielder Jordan Powell.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Tyler Wilson was outstanding on the hill for the Rams, recording 10 strikeouts over a 7.0-inning start. He allowed just three hits and one run, which was unearned.
- Wilson also made an excellent defensive play in the top of the sixth as he was drilled in the arm on a come-backer to the mound that knocked his glove off. He managed to get to the ball off the ricochet and toss over to first from his knees for the out.
- In his last three starts - all wins - Wilson has held opponents to a .157 batting average. Over that 19.1-inning span, the Rhody lefty has struck out 21 and allowed just five runs (three earned) on 11 hits and four walks.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss tossed a scoreless eighth before senior Nick Johnson recorded a 1-2-3 ninth for his seventh save of the season. Barss and Johnson both recorded two of their three outs by way of the K.
- Johnson has now thrown 16.1 consecutive scoreless innings for the Rams dating back to March 17. During this stretch - which spans 15 relief appearances - he has allowed just 10 hits while fanning 30 batters.
- Offensively, freshman Xavier Vargas led the way for URI, going 2-for-2 with a walk and two RBI.
- Junior Kevin Heiss and freshman Jackson Coutts each scored a run for the Rams after drawing back-to-back walks in the bottom of the first.
- Coutts has now reached base in each of Rhody's last 28 games.
- Aside from Vargas' two hits, the Rams got one single each from senior Jordan Powell and freshman Austin White. Powell also recorded his fourth stolen base of the series.
- The one-run game was Rhode Island's 12 of the season, and third in the last six games - all of which the Rams have won.
Rhody and La Salle return to The Beck to close out the three-game A-10 series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 11 a.m.