Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Cavaliere (LF), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Ulliana (C), Foley (RF), Hill (3B), Walker (P)
Ward (CF), Gasper (DH), Wright (1B), Cruz (C), Panno (3B), Daley (RF), Owens (SS), Hart (LF), Ricciardi (2B), Weiner (P)
How it Happened
The Rams plated five more runs in the bottom of the second to push their advantage to 7-0. Heiss got the two-out rally started with a single to center that scored Sonny Ulliana, and Jackson Coutts followed with a ground rule double that pushed across Laurence Hill. Cavaliere was then walked to set up Xavier Vargas' bases-clearing double that put URI up by seven.
Bryant (22-16) cut Rhody's lead to two in the top of the third however, using a pair of two-run homers, as well as a Rhode Island error, to make it a 7-5 game. The Bulldogs later cut it to 7-6 on a sixth-inning sacrifice fly by Sam Owens.
Rhody pushed its lead back to two in the bottom of the seventh when Hill doubled down the right field line to drive in Mike Foley for the eventual 8-6 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Mark Silvestri earned the win, facing the minimum nine batters over three innings of no-hit relief.
- Senior Nick Johnson picked up his team-leading sixth save of the season, striking out the side in the top of the ninth.
- Eight of Rhody's starters reached base at least once as the Rams combined for seven hits and 10 walks on the afternoon.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts doubled, drove in a run, scored once and walked twice.
- Freshman Xavier Vargas drove in three runs on a second-inning, bases-loaded double. He also reached once via walk and was hit by a pitch.
- Junior Kevin Heiss singled, walked, was hit by a pitch and scored twice.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere also scored a pair of runs for the Rams, going 1-for-3 with two walks.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill crossed the plate once, hit an RBI double and was walked.
- Senior Mike Foley and sophomore Sonny Ulliana both singled, walked and scored a run.
Rhode Island returns to action at UConn on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.