Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (SH), Cavaliere (LF), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Ulliana (C), White (RF), Hill (3B), Stathopoulos (P)
Maul (SS), Hueth (CF), Concannon (RF), McConnon (C), Stetzar (1B), Giacalone (3B), Namey (R), Markoski (DH), Cuppari (2B), Aungst (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (15-25, 6-9 A-10) extended its win streak to seven games, finishing off the series sweep of Saint Joseph's Sunday afternoon at The Beck. The Rams did all of their damage during the sixth inning, pushing across seven runs for the eventual 7-3 victory.
Saint Joseph's (14-20, 4-9 A-10) got on the board first, taking a 1-0 lead with two away in the top of the sixth. There, James McConnon drilled a low liner out into left field, which got past a diving Greg Cavaliere and allowed Matt Maul to score the first run of the game. Rhody responded with a seven spot in the bottom of the inning however.
Cavaliere started the rally with a double to right centerfield and Xavier Vargas reached on a Hawks error to put two runners on with one away. A successful double steal set up Brett McManus' two-run single to right before Sonny Ulliana singled through the right side. Austin White then roped a ball out into left center, driving in both McManus and Ulliana and giving the Rams a 4-1 lead.
The Hawks used a two-run shot by Brian Markoski to make it a 7-3 game in the top of the seventh, but were unable to get any closer.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Jackson Coutts led the way with a 3-for-4 day at the plate. He also drove in a pair of runs for the Rams, his 12th and 13th of the season.
- Junior Brett McManus reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, two RBI and a run scored.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere walked, singled, doubled and scored a run. He also stole his 13th base of the season to tie senior Jordan Powell for the team lead.
- Powell recorded his first triple of the season in the win and had five putouts in centerfield. He ended the three-game series with 11 putouts overall.
- Freshman Austin White doubled, drove in two runs and scored one of his own.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana singled and scored a run.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill and junior Kevin Heiss each scored once for the Rams.
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos earned the win, improving to 3-1 on the season. He matched his season-high with seven strikeouts on the afternoon, and issued no walks.
- Sophomore Mark Silvestri tossed an inning and a third of relief, getting Rhody out of a seventh inning jam and allowing just one hit in a scoreless eighth.
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur struck out two as past of a scoreless ninth.
The Rams return to The Beck on Tuesday afternoon, when they host Bryant at 3:30 p.m.