Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Ulliana (C), Vargas (1B), Daller (3B), Foley (LF), Hill (2B), White (RF), Walker (P)
Boston College Lineup
Palomaki (SS), Galland (LF), Martellini (RF), Cunningham (RF), Braren (DH), Baldelli (CF), Alu (3B), Bigras (1B), Dempsey (2B), Nelson (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (11-25) held Boston College (12-23) to just two hits on the afternoon - both of which came in the first inning - en route to a 3-1 victory Tuesday afternoon.
After taking a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, the Eagles failed to send more than four hitters to the plate in seven of the next eight innings. Meanwhile, the Rams put runners on base in the third, fourth and sixth innings, before finally breaking through with three runs in the seventh. There, a sacrifice fly by Mike Foley and RBI singles by Laurence Hill and Jordan Powell put the Rams on top 3-1.
BC did not record a hit the rest of the way as the Rams held on for their third win in a row.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Xavier Vargas tripled, singled and scored a run for the Rams.
- Senior Jordan Powell also had pair of hits, reached once on a walk and drove in a run.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts also reached base twice - on a single and a walk. He has now been on base in each of URI's last 21 games.
- Senior Mike Foley doubled and drove in a run on the afternoon.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill singled, stole a base, scored a run and drove one in.
- Sophomore Jake Walker earned the win - his first of the season - allowing just one run on two hits over a 5.0-inning start.
- Junior Mark Silvestri tossed 2.2 innings of no-hit, scoreless relief for the Rams.
- Senior Nick Johnson picked up his third save of the season, facing the minimum three batters in the bottom of the ninth.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday afternoon when they host Hartford at 3:30 p.m.