Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Vargas (1B), McManus (2B), Foley (LF), Daller (C), Hill (3B), Ilario (RF), Jangols (P)
Ciufo (2B), Phillips (DH), Delano (RF), Deere (3B), Carey (1B), Sluys (C), Farris (LF), Homza (SS), Loumscio (CF), Petteruti (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (8-23) wasted no time getting on the board as Brett McManus sent a sacrifice fly into right field to score Jordan Powell in the top of the first inning. Brown (7-16) quickly tied things up however, as leadoff hitter Rich Ciufo homered in the bottom of the frame.
The Rams reclaimed the lead in the top of the second, as three straight walks put Matt Daller, Laurence Hill and Sam Ilario all on base. A sac-fly by Powell then plated Daller to put Rhody back on top 2-1. Kevin Heiss followed with a bunt single to reload the bases and set up Jackson Coutts' two-run double. Xavier Vargas was then walked before a McManus single plated Heiss and gave URI a 5-1 lead.
Rhode Island put another four spot on the board in the top of the seventh as Vargas scored on a McManus triple, Josh Brodeur scored on a Daller groundout and Sam Ilario sent a two-run shot over left field wall for the 9-1 lead.
The Bears responded with three runs in the seventh and another in the eighth, but an eighth-inning RBI single by Mike Foley and a ninth-inning RBI-groundout by Coutts sealed the 11-5 victory for Rhode Island.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Sam Ilario went 3-for-4 with a walk, two RBI and three runs scored. He also hit his first career home run in the win.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts and juniors Kevin Heiss and Brett McManus all had two hits on the afternoon. Coutts singled, doubled and drove in a pair of runs while McManus had three RBI on a single and a triple. Heiss also drew a pair of walks and scored a run for the Rams.
- Senior Jordan Powell singled and scored a run.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill singled, walked and scored twice.
- Freshman Matt Daller was 0-for-4 but walked, drove in a run and scored one of his own.
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols earned the win, allowing one run on four hits over a 5.0-inning start. He struck out three and walked just one.
- Sophomore Connor Romano made his first appearance of the season and threw a scoreless ninth inning for the Rams.
Rhode Island returns to action tomorrow night at Holy Cross. First pitch is set for 5 p.m.