Rhode Island Lineup
Foley (RF), Heiss (SS), Powell (CF), Coutts (DH), McManus (2B), Vargas (1B), Ulliana (C), Daller (3B), Brodeur (LF), Stathopoulos (P)
Knehr (DH), Mackenzie (2B), Goodrich (CF), Tarabek (SS), Bardwell (C), Vazquez (3B), Goulard (1B), Labella (RF), Baker (LF), DiMeglio (P)
How it Happened
Fordham (18-9-1, 4-2 A-10) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second - on a two-run single by Nick Labella, but Rhody came back and evened the score in the top of the third. Matt Daller doubled down the right field line to lead off the inning, before Josh Brodeur was hit by a pitch. Kevin Heiss later sent a one-out single up the middle to drive in Daller. After a Jordan Powell walk, Jackson Coutts' bases-loaded groundout allowed Brodeur to cross the plate and tie things up at 2-2.
Taso Stathopoulos made quick work of the Fordham offense over the next four innings, allowing just one of the next 13 hitters to reach base before getting into trouble in the sixth. After C.J Vazquez was drilled with a pitch, a perfectly executed hit-and-run play put Brian Goulard on first and Vazquez on third. A balk by Stathopoulos then allowed Vazquez to score and put Fordham ahead 3-2.
In his next trip to the plate, Goulard laced a two-run single through the right side to push it to 5-2 in favor of the Bronx Rams.
Rhody (7-23, 1-8 A-10) got a run back in the top of the ninth, on a two-out RBI single by Coutts. That was as close as URI would get however, as Laurence Hill grounded into a fielder's choice out with the tying run on first base.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Kevin Heiss went 2-for-3 and drove in his team-leading 11th run of the season.
- Fresham Jackson Coutts singled twice and drove in a pair of runs.
- Freshman Austin White - who entered the game as a defensive replacement in the bottom of the sixth - was 1-for-2 with a run scored. He finished the series 5-for-9 with two stolen bases, one RBI and one run scored.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana went 3-for-4 on the afternoon.
- Redshirt senior Taso Stathopoulos took the loss for the Rams, allowing three runs on six hits and a pair of walks over a 6.1 inning start.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss was responsible for both Fordham runs in the bottom of the eighth.
The Rams return to action on Tuesday afternoon, when they travel to Brown for a 3:30 p.m. game against the Bears.