Rhode Island Lineup
Foley (LF), Heiss (SS), Powell (CF), Coutts (DH), Cavaliere (C), McManus (1B), White (RF), Daller (3B), Brodeur (2B), Wilson (P)
Bazin (SS), Acosta (2B), Centracchio (1B), Jones (C), Coleman (3B), Mardiney (RF), Lebek (DH), Lowe (LF), Born (CF), Roberts (P)
How it Happened
Similar to Friday's series opener, URI kept Davidson off the board through the first five innings, but ran into trouble in the sixth. There, the Wildcats scored three runs on two hits and a pair of Rhode Island errors.
The Rams (6-20, 0-5 A-10) got one back in the bottom of the frame, when Brett McManus tripled to right field to drive in Greg Cavaliere, but Davidson responded with a two-run seventh to push the lead to 5-1.
The Wildcats (17-9, 3-2 A-10) added another run in the top of the ninth to make it 6-1. The Rams loaded the bases in their final trip to the plate, but were only able to get one run back - when Cavaliere crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly by Laurence Hill.
Inside the Box Score
- Making his first appearance at The Beck since May 13, 2016, redshirt junior Tyler Wilson recorded a season-high 10 strikeouts with just three hits and one walk allowed over six complete innings. He took the tough-luck loss however, giving up three runs - two of which were unearned - in the top of the sixth.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere went 2-for-4, stole a base and scored both Rhody runs on the afternoon.
- Senior Mike Foley also had a pair of singles hitting in the leadoff spot.
- Senior Brett McManus picked up his first extra-base hit of the season in the sixth inning - an RBI triple that scored Cavaliere. Cavaliere later scored on a ninth-inning sac-fly by redshirt junior Laurence Hill.
- Evan Roberts earned the win for Davidson. He recorded 12 strikeouts with no walks in an 8.0-inning start.
The Rams and Wildcats return to Bill Beck Field to close out the A-10 series on Sunday morning. First pitch is set for 10:00 a.m.