URI - RHP Matt Murphy (1-2, 1.74 ERA)
DAV - RHP Allen Barry (4-1, 2.36 ERA)
URI - LHP Tyler Wilson (0-4, 4.22 ERA)
DAV - LHP Evan Roberts (3-2, 3.13 ERA)
Sunday, April 1 – 10:30 a.m.
Coverage: Live Stats
URI - RHP Vitaly Jangols (2-3, 5.46 ERA)
DAV - RHP Josh Hudson (3-1, 4.19 ERA)
Davidson (15-9, 1-2 Atlantic 10)
- Davidson enters the weekend looking to snap a three-game losing streak. The Wildcats have lost four of their last five. Prior to that, Davidson had won five in a row.
- The Wildcats have had two five-game win streaks so far this season and, at 15-9, are off to their best start in program history.
- Davidson has faced just one nationally-ranked opponent so far this season, then-No. 14 Virginia on March 6. The Wildcats dropped that game 12-1.
- Since joining the Atlantic 10 in 2015, Davidson has won just one of 10 games against Rhode Island - a 7-2 victory on April 3, 2015. Since then, the Rams have won nine straight against the Wildcats.
- Davidson leads the conference in home runs (26), RBI (141), walks (126), on-base percentage (.393), slugging percentage (.423) and earned run average (2.89) and is ranked second in runs scored (152) and extra-base hits (64).
- Eric Jones and Alex Mardiney both lead the team with a .337 batting average through 24 games.
- Jones also leads Davidson in total hits (29), doubles (6), home runs (5) and RBI (35).
- Brett Centracchio has scored a team-best 22 runs while also leading the club in walks, with 19.
- Overall, 10 different players have homered for Davidson, with eight of those players having homered more than once.
- The Wildcats will send two righties and and a lefty to the mound this weekend. RHP Allen Barry (Friday) is 4-1 with a team-best 38 strikeouts. LHP Evan Roberts (Saturday) is 3-2 and leads the team in innings pitched at 37.1. Josh Hudson (Sunday) enters the weekend with a 4.19 ERA and has gone 3-1 over six starts.
- Davidson has four saves on the season - two each from Austin Leonard and Casey Sutherland. Over 12 relief appearances, Leonard is 1-1 with an 0.82 ERA and a .139 opposing average. Sutherland has allowed just 14 hits and four walks over 20.1 innings pitched.
Rhode Island (6-18, 0-3 Atlantic 10)
- Rhode Island will play its first home series of the season this weekend when Davidson visits The Beck.
- The Rams have played just thee home game so far this season - midweek matchups against regional rivals Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac and Northeastern.
- Based on the combined winning percentage of its opponents, Rhode Island has played the nation's second-toughest schedule so far this season. Overall, the 10 teams URI has faced have combined to post a 333-173 record, good for a .659 win percentage.
- Ten of Rhody's first 18 games were against top-30 teams as the Rams played three at #1 Florida, three at #9 Texas A&M and four at #28 Stetson. Several of those games were close as Rhody dropped the season-opener at Texas A&M by a score of 4-1 before losing in walkoff fashion (4-3) the following afternoon. Against the top-ranked Gators, URI led 2-1 heading into the ninth inning, but Florida scored twice in the bottom of the frame to avoid the upset. The Rams also lost a 3-2 extra-innings decision at #28 Stetson.
- Half of URI's 18 losses have been by either one or two runs as the Rams have been defeated by a single run seven times, and two runs twice.
- After missing the first two weeks of the season with an injury freshman Jackson Coutts has made his presence felt in the Rams' lineup. The Rhody rookie currently leads the team with a .321 batting average through 15 appearances (14 starts).
- Senior Jordan Powell leads URI in hits (29) and is tied for the team lead in RBI (9) while ranking second in stolen bases (7).
- Junior Kevin Heiss also has driven in nine runs for the Rams. His 17 hits are tied with Coutts for second-most on the team.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere has scored a team-best 10 runs and has a team-leading eight stolen bases on the season.
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy leads the Rams' starting pitchers with a 1.74 ERA over 31.0 innings of work, however he is just 1-2 over his five starts.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Wilson has recorded a team-best 27 strikeouts but is 0-4 with a 4.22 ERA in six starts.
- Senior reliever Nick Johnson has fanned 20 with just four walks allowed over 12.2 innings of relief work (10 appearances). He is 0-2 with one save.
- Like Johnson, sophomore Nick Robinson is 0-2 with one save in 10 appearances, despite carrying an 0.72 ERA through 12.1 innings pitched.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss has picked up three saves to extend URI's career record to 29. In 11.0 innings pitched, opponents have combined to hit just .189 off of him.