Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Hill (3B), Powell (CF), Coutts (1B), Ulliana (DH), Cavaliere (C), Foley (LF), Heiss (SS), Ilario (RF), Walker (P)
Lutz (SS), Mosley (CF), Marrero (LF), Scafariello (RF), Bender (C), Vulgamore (3B), Gibson (1B), Cruz (2B), Kasperzyk (DH), Lewis (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (6-17) used a three-run seventh inning to come from behind and defeat Quinnipiac, 7-5, Tuesday afternoon at The Beck. The Rams trailed at three different points in the game, but erased the deficit each time before pulling ahead for good in the seventh.
Quinnipiac (8-13) opened the scoring in the top of the second, taking advantage of an inning-extending error and later plating a run for the 1-0 advantage. URI put two on the board in the bottom half of the inning however, as Greg Cavaliere and Austin White both scored on a two-out single by Kevin Heiss.
The Bobcats reclaimed the lead in the top of the third, but another run-scoring single by Heiss evened things up at three apiece in the bottom of the fourth.
Quinnipiac used a two-run fifth to pull back ahead 5-3 before Rhody closed the gap to one run in the bottom of the frame, on a Jackson Coutts single that scored Laurence Hill. The Rams then tacked on three more runs in the seventh - one each by Powell, Coutts and White - to seal the 7-5 win.
Inside the Box Score
- As a staff, the Rhody pitchers combined to allow zero walks in the game, marking the second time this season the Rams issue zero free passes (Texas A&M, Feb. 18).
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur earned the win, striking out four over three innings of relief work.
- Sophomore Jake Walker went three innings in the no-decision start, allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits with three strikeouts.
- Redshirt sophomore Tyler Brosius tossed a 1-2-3 fourth inning, needing just 11 pitches to retire the side.
- Sophomore Nick Robinson threw a scoreless eighth, before redshirt senior Tyler Barss closed things out with a 1-2-3 ninth. With the save - this third of the season - Barss extends his program record to 29 career saves.
- Offensively, junior Kevin Heiss drove in a career-high four runs on a 2-for-3 day at the plate.
- Freshman Austin White drew a pair of walks after entering the game as a pinch runner in the bottom of the second. He scored a game-best three runs for the Rams.
- Senior Jordan Powell went 3-for-5 with a run scored. He leads the team with eight multi-hit games this season.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts singled, walked, drove in a run and scored one of his own. He has now reached base safely in each of his last eight games played.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Redshirt freshman Max Mircovich singled and drove in a run.
- Senior Mike Foley also picked up an RBI, on fielder's choice play in the seventh.
Rhode Island returns to The Beck to host Northeastern, Wednesday at 3 p.m.