Rhode Island Lineup
White (RF), Brodeur (2B), Powell (CF), Coutts (DH), Ulliana (C), Cavaliere (LF), Heiss (SS), Hill (3B), McManus (1B), Wilson (P)
Lamb (CF), Berezo (2B), Witt (3B), Lacey (DH), Ching (SS), Willett (RF), Carpenter (1B), Schatz (C), Brown (LF), Thompson (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (5-16, 0-2 A-10) and VCU (15-8, 2-0 A-10) battled through 14 scoreless innings before VCU scored on an intentional-walk wild pitch to escape with the 1-0 win in the bottom of the 15th.
Rhody stranded runners in scoring position in the fourth, sixth, eighth, 13th 14th and 15th innings, including leaving runners on third in three of those six frames.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior starter Tyler Wilson allowed just four hits over six shutout innings. He struck out five and walked just one.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss fanned seven over three no-hit innings of relief.
- Senior Nick Johnson and redshirt junior Cam LaFleur each tossed two innings of relief without allowing a run. They both allowed one hit and one walk with one strikeout.
- Sophomore Nick Robinson took the loss, allowing one run on three hits in the bottom of the 15th inning.
- Each of Rhody's four hits on the afternoon came from freshmen.
- Josh Brodeur singled twice, walked once and stole a base.
- Max Mircovich singled in a 15th-inning pinch-hit at bat.
- Jackson Coutts also singled once.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill reached base twice on a pair of walks.
Rhode Island and VCU return to The Diamond for Game 2 of the series, Saturday at 1 p.m.