Rhode Island Lineup
White (RF), Cavaliere (LF), Powell (CF), Ulliana (C), Coutts (DH), Heiss (SS), Santos (1B), Hill (2B), Daller (3B), Walker (P)
Koos (CF), Spooner (RF), Hale (C), Wilson (DH), MacNeil (LF), Torino (2B), Sparks (1B), Arenas (SS), Ball (3B), Senger (P)
How it Happened
Trailing 1-0 after an inning of play, Rhode Island (4-14) put five runs on the board in the top of the second. Sonny Ulliana got things started with a leadoff single, followed by a Jackson Coutts walk and a base hit by Kevin Heiss. Alex Santos then singled down the right field line and everyone advanced a base to tie the score at 1-1.
After a pair of strikeouts, Stetson's Mitchell Senger threw eight straight balls with the bases loaded, issuing free passes to Austin White and Greg Cavaliere and putting the Rams on top 3-1. Jordan Powell then sent a two-run single up the middle to plate Santos and White, extending Rhody's lead to 5-1.
The Hatters (17-3) plated a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning however, and added another in the third to cut URI's lead to one at 5-4. Stetson then erupted for six runs - all of which were unearned - the following inning to move ahead 10-5.
Back-to-back doubles by Ulliana and Coutts made it a 10-6 game in the top of the seventh but the Hatters pushed their lead back to five the following inning, and put another six spot on the board in the eighth, for the 17-6 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana singled, doubled, walked twice and scored a pair of runs for the Rams.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts doubled as well, while also scoring a run, driving one in and drawing a walk.
- Senior Jordan Powell had a two-run single to pick up his team-heading seventh and eighth RBI of the season.
- Freshman Austin White went 0-for-2, but reached twice - via walk and hit-by-pitch - scored a run and had an RBI.
- Redshirt freshman Alex Santos was 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere also drove in a run for the Rams.
- Junior reliever Mark Silvestri was charged with the loss, allowing six runs - all of which were unearned.
- Sophomore Nick Robinson allowed just one hit over two and a third innings of scoreless relief.
After opening the season with 18 consecutive road games, Rhode Island returns home to host Sacred Heart on Tuesday afternoon. First pitch at The Beck is set for 3 p.m.