Rhode Island Lineup
Cavaliere (LF), Foley (RF), Powell (CF), Ulliana (C), Ilario (DH), McManus (1B), Santos (3B), Hill (2B), Daller (SS), Murphy (P)
Army West Point Lineup
Hurtubise (CF), White (SS), Rosoff (C), McKenna (1B), Giachin (3B), Hudgins (DH), Simoes (2B), Crompton (RF), Regine (LF), Opp (P)
How it Happened
Matt Murphy held Army West Point to just one hit over seven shutout innings as the Rams downed the Black Knights 6-4 on Thursday afternoon in DeLand, Fla.
The Rams scored three more runs the next inning, thanks to a two-run single by Powell and two-out balk by Army's Cam Opp. Murphy then retired the Black Knights in order in the fifth and sixth innings, before Rhody pushed its lead to 6-0 in the bottom of the sixth. Matt Daller was hit by a pitch to lead of the inning and then stole second to set up an RBI single by Cavaliere. Cavaliere advanced to second on a single by Mike Foley and both runners moved up a base on a double steal. A wild pitch then allowed Cavaliere to cross the plate and extend URI's lead to 6-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy picked up his first win of the season for the Rams, striking out six over seven shutout innings. He allowed just one hit and one walk on the afternoon.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere went 2-for-4 with a walk, an RBI, two runs scored and three stolen bases.
- Senior Jordan Powell also had a pair of hits for the Rams while driving in three runs.
- Senior Mike Foley singled, walked, was hit by a pitch, scored once and stole a base.
- Redshirt freshman Alex Santos and redshirt junior Laurence Hill both singled and scored a run.
- Junior Mark Silvestri tossed a scoreless eighth inning for URI.
- Sophomore Nick Robinson recorded the final out of the game - with the tying run on deck - to pick up his first career save.
- The game pitted current Rhody head coach Raphael Cerrato against his predecessor Jim Foster. Prior to taking over as URI's head coach, Cerrato spent three seasons as an assistant on Foster's Rhode Island staff.
Rhode Island returns to action on Friday, when it opens a four-game weekend series at Stetson.