Rhode Island Lineup
Brodeur (2B), Heiss (SS), Powell (CF), Cavaliere (DH), Illario (RF), Vargas (1B), Ulliana (C), Mircovich (LF), Daller (3B), Jangols (P)
Lively (SS), Perrin (2B), Cosgrove (DH), Sutton (1B), Hurd (CF), Murphy (C), Day (RF), Sterne (LF), Prater (3B), Billig (P)
How it Happened
Another strong outing by the Rhode Island pitching staff led the Rams (2-5) to a 4-2 win in Sunday's series finale at Seattle (5-3).
Pitching with an early lead, Vitaly Jangols managed to keep the Redhawks in check through seven innings. Seattle finally got something going in the bottom of the eighth, but the two runs were not enough as Rhody held on for the 4-2 win.
Over the course of the four-game series, Rhode Island used 10 pitchers, who combined for a 1.36 ERA and 41 strikeouts - with just nine walks - over 33.0 innings.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols struck out six over seven shutout innings to earn the win. He allowed seven hits and issued two walks but did not allow a runner past second bast through seven frames.
- Senior Nick Johnson earned the save - the second of his career - striking out two in a scoreless ninth.
- Freshman Xavier Vargas led Rhody at the plate, going 2-for-4 with and RBI and a run scored.
- Redshirt freshmen Josh Brodeur and Max Mircovich each had a hit, scored a run and drew a walk. Brodeur doubled for the first extra-base hit of his career.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere singled and scored a run for the Rams.
- Senior Jordan Powell, junior Kevin Heiss and sophomore Sonny Ulliana all walked and singled in the win. Powell also had a sac-fly to drive in his third run of the season.
- Powell has now reached base safely in each of his last 44 games played dating back to last season.
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur was responsible for both Redhawks runs in the bottom of the eighth.
The Rams are back in action next weekend, when they travel to Jacksonville for a three-game set against the Dolphins.