Rhode Island Lineup
Foley (RF), Mircovich (LF), Powell (CF), Cavaliere (DH), Hill (2B), Ulliana (C), McManus (DH), Santos (3B), Daller (SS), Murphy (P)
Texas A&M Lineup
DeLoach (CF), Helman (2B), Shewmake (SS), Andritsos (1B), Bedford (C), Frizzell (DH), Foster (LF), Walters (RF), Janca (3B), Joswiak (P)
How it Happened
Texas A&M (2-0) jumped out to a quick lead, using a leadoff triple and a sacrifice fly to go up 1-0 in the top of the first. The Rams evened it up in similar fashion in their next trip to the plate however, as Greg Cavaliere ripped a leadoff triple before scoring on a double by Laurence Hill.
Rhode Island (0-2) tacked on two more in the top of the third inning, using a two-out rally to move ahead 3-1. Jordan Powell got things started with a five-pitch walk, stole second and advanced to third after a throwing error on the pickoff attempt. Cavaliere then singled to left to drive in Powell before stealing second to get into scoring position. An RBI double by Hill then put Rhody on top 3-1.
The Aggies threatened in the bottom of the frame, getting back-to-back base hits before Alex Santos picked a ball off the third base line and turned a 5-3 double play. Santos ended the inning with another 5-3 play to preserve the Rams' lead.
The teams matched one another with zeroes on the scoreboard through the next four innings before Texas A&M pushed across another run in the bottom of the eighth to make it a 3-2 game. Leadoff hitter Michael Helman reached on a Rhode Island error and quickly made it a one-run game when Braden Shewmake tripled for the Aggies. Shewmake was stranded on third however, as Chris Andritsos popped up to first and Nick Johnson followed with consecutive strikeouts to keep Rhode Island on top.
Matt Daller singled and Mike Foley was hit by a pitch in the top of the ninth, but the Rams were unable to add any insurance runs. Tyler Barss then took the hill in the bottom of the ninth, where the Aggies used three singles and a sac-bunt to walk off with the 4-3 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy allowed just one run through six complete innings. After the Aggies scored in the bottom of the first, he kept them off the board through the next five frames.
- Junior Nick Johnson relieved Murphy in the bottom of the seventh and struck out four over two innings.
- Redshirt senior Tyler Barss was charged with the loss, allowing two runs one three hits in the bottom of the ninth inning.
- Offensively, the Rams were led by sophomore Greg Cavaliere and redshirt junior Laurence Hill, both of whom went 2-for-4 with a stolen base. Hill doubled twice and drove in two runs while Cavaliere singled, tripled and scored twice.
- Senior Mike Foley also tripled for the Rams, in addition to reaching on a ninth-inning hit-by-pitch.
- Freshman Matt Daller singled in the top of the ninth for his first career hit.
The Rams and Aggies return to Blue Bell Park to close out the series at 1 p.m. (Eastern) on Sunday.