Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Olmo (LF), Hess (2B), Figueroa (DH), Livingston (C), Foreman, O'Neil (3B), Foley (RF), Heiss (SS), Moyers (P)
George Mason Lineup
Smith (3B), Tassone (SS), Kelly (1B), Popatak (DH), Driscoll (C), Blackstone (RF), Nelin (LF), Sturek (CF), Aponte (2B), Williams (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (7-11, 1-1) got on the board first as Matt O'Neil singled through the left side to drive in Chase Livingston in the top of the fourth. Meanwhile, Steve Moyers was cruising on the mound, allowing only one base runner (walk) through the first four frames.
George Mason (7-16, 1-1) finally got its first hit of the game in the bottom of the fifth, but did not tie things up until the bottom of the seventh when a two-out double by Greg Popatak scored Tyler Nelin to make it a 1-1 game.
The Patriots then plated the game-winning run in the bottom of the tenth. With one out and runners on second and third, Jonathan Hansen missed on a third-strike bunt attempt for out number two. With Kent Blackstone having taken a sizable lead off third base, Livingston threw down to third looking for an inning-ending double play, but instead saw his throw get past O'Neil, allowing Blackstone to cross the plate as the winning run.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Steve Moyers allowed just one run on two hits over a seven-inning start. He also recorded eight strikeouts, but got a no-decision as he left with the game tied 1-1.
- Redshirt sophomore Andrew Veiga tossed two-plus innings, allowing one hit and striking out two.
- Freshman Mark Silvestri was charged with the loss as he recorded two outs in the 10th before the Patriots scored on a game-ending error. The run, however, was charged to Veiga.
- Redshirt junior Matt O'Neil drove in the lone run of the day for the Rams. He went 2-for-4 and was the only player - on either team - to finish with multiple hits.
- Senior Chase Livingston scored Rhody's only run, after singling in the fourth.
- The Rams finished with seven hits in the loss - all singles. George Mason was held to just three singles and a double.
- Livingston's throwing error in the bottom of the 10th was the lone miscue of the game, for either team.
- Zach Mort picked up the win for the Patriots, limiting Rhody to just one hit over three innings of relief.
The Rams and Patriots return to Spuhler Field for to close out the three-game series, Sunday at 1 p.m.