Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Olmo (RF), Hess (2B), Figueroa (DH), Gardella (C), O'Neil (3B), Hill (LF), Heiss (SS), Wessel (P)
Palacios (2B), Miller (3B), Policelli (SS), Henze (DH), Gallo (CF), Gimblet (RF), Dyer (1B), Mullins (LF), Howerton (C), Marriggi (P)
How it Happened
Martin Figueroa doubled to drive in Chris Hess with two away, putting Rhode Island up 1-0 in the top of the first inning. However, Towson evened it up in the second, pulled ahead in the third and added five runs over the final two innings to put things our of reach.
Rhode Island (6-9) left runners in scoring position in the third, sixth, seventh and ninth, and stranded seven total on the afternoon.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Chris Hess went 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored. He has now reached base in each of Rhody's last seven games.
- Sophomore Jordan Powell and redshirt junior Matt O'Neil also doubled in the loss, as did redshirt freshman Laurence Hill. Hill's was the first hit of his career, and came in his first career start.
- Junior Martin Figueroa singled and drove in a run in the first, extending his reached-base streak to a team-high 11 games.
- Redshirt senior Derek Gardella reached twice on a pair of walks.
- Redshirt junior Ben Wessel recorded a career-high seven strikeouts, but was charged with the loss as he allowed three runs on three hits and four walks over a 6.1-inning start.
- Towson starter David Marriggi earned the win, allowing just one run on four hits over six innings. Kyle Stricker closed things out with three scoreless innings to earn the save.
Rhody is back in action on Wednesday night at Penn State. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.