Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), O'Connell (LF), Corin (3B), Quinn (1B), Gardella (DH), Sherburne (CF), Hetzel (RF), Livingston (C), Warnock (2B), Distasio (P)
George Washington Lineup
Bartosic (LF), Selby (RF), Campbell (3B), Beightol (1B), Xepoleas (CF), Gibbons-Fly (DH), Robert (C), Mahala (SS), Kashi (2B), Weisberg (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (11-35, 6-14) struck early, taking a 1-0 lead in the first when Shane O'Connell scored on an RBI double by Mike Corin. The Rams pushed it to 4-0 in the third - getting two runs on a Derek Gardella triple and another on an RBI double by Mike Sherburne. A fourth-inning sac fly by Tim Caputo then plated Chase Livingston to give URI a 5-0 advantage.
George Washington (16-29, 8-14) battled back though, pushing across four in the seventh and two in the eighth to take its first lead of the game at 6-5. But the Rams would not go quietly, evening the score at six apiece in the top of the ninth when Nick DeRegis scored on single by Caputo.
Rhody had its best chance at a go-ahead run in the top of the 14th when the Rams loaded the bases with one away. However, the Colonials got out of the jam and got a two-out RBI single to steal the win in the bottom of the inning.
Inside the Box Score
- The 14-inning game is the longest in Atlantic 10 play this season, passing the George Mason/Saint Louis contest (April 25) which lasted 13 innings.
- Redshirt freshman Mike Corin finished the day with a game-high three hits while redshirt senior Shane O'Connell reached three times on a hit and two walks. O'Connell also scored twice for the Rams.
- Redshirt sophomore Derek Gardella drove in a pair of runs on his first career triple. Junior Tim Caputo also had two RBI with a hit and a walk.
- Junior pinch hitter Nick DeRegis drew a walk in the top of the ninth and stole second before scoring the game-tying run for the Rams. He is now 2-for-3 with two walks in pinch-hit at-bats, good for a team-best .800 OBP as a pinch hitter.
- Junior Mike Sherburne and sophomore Chase Livingston each had two hits on the day. Livingston scored once while Sherburne drove in a run.
- Senior first baseman Pat Quinn recorded 19 putouts on the afternoon, finishing just one shy of the Rhode Island record (20) set by Paul Evans on April 12, 1976. Quinn now has two of the top three single-game totals as he registered 18 putouts at Pepperdine on March 9, 2012.
- Sophomore Lou Distasio tossed 6.2 innings in a no-decision start, allowing four runs (all earned) on six hits with a pair of strikeouts. The Colonials did not score on him until the bottom of the seventh.
- Freshman Tyler Barss gave up just one hit over six innings of relief, but was charged with the loss as his runner came around to score on a two-out single given up by classmate Evan Flanagan.
- GW's Luke Olson picked up the win to improve to 2-2 on the season. He came on with bases loaded in the top of the 14th and got two consecutive outs to end the Rhody threat.
The Rams and Colonials return to Barcroft Park for an 11 a.m. first pitch on Saturday.