Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), O'Connell (LF), Corin (3B), Quinn (1B), Gardella (DH), Sherburne (RF), Olmo (RF), Livingston (C), Warnock (2B), Distasio (P)
St. Bonaventure Lineup
Baldinelli (2B), Gresock (3B), Rosencrance (DH), T.Johnson (SS), Dunn (C), Bell (CF), Brozick (1B), Heath (RF), Weightman (LF), Grey (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (10-34, 5-13) went up in the top of the first on an RBI groundout by senior Pat Quinn that drove in junior Tim Caputo. The Rams held onto the lead until the bottom of the eighth when St. Bonaventure (11-26, 5-13) evened it up at one apiece.
Still tied at 1-1 after nine, Rhody pulled back ahead in the top of the 10th. Sophomore Chase Livingston got things started with a leadoff single before advancing to second on a sac bunt by freshman RJ Warnock and taking third on a wild pitch. Livingston was then replaced by senior pinch runner Jonathan Nazarko - following a walk by Caputo - and senior Shane O'Connell followed with a perfectly placed sac bunt that both scored Nazarko and advanced Caputo to second. Freshman Mike Corin then singled to right to drive in Caputo and give the Rams a two-run cushion, which proved to be needed as the Bonnies came back and scored once in the bottom of the frame.
Inside the Box Score
- The 3-2 win marked Rhody's 15th one-run game this season. The Rams are now 5-10 in these games.
- Of URI's five one-run victories, four have come in the final inning of play. In addition to today's win, the Rams also got the go-ahead run in the final inning against Marshall, Sacred Heart and George Mason.
- Rhode Island managed just five hits over 10 innings, two of which came from Chase Livingston. The sophomore catcher had URI's only extra-base hit of the game with he doubled in the fourth.
- Livingston also came up with the game-ending play when he caught Tyler Bell stealing with two away in the 10th. Bell was also thrown out by Livingston on a fourth-inning stolen base attempt.
- The Rams combined for four sac bunts in the win. Shane O'Connell had two while Mike Corin and RJ Warnock each had one. Warnock now leads the team with 10 sacrifices on the season (nine bunts, one fly).
- Tim Caputo scored two of Rhody's three runs, despite an 0-for-4 day at the plate. He scored in the first - after reaching on an error - and later scored what proved to be the game-winning run in the 10th after drawing a five-pitch walk.
- Rhody's 2-4 hitters - Shane O'Connell, Mike Corin and Pat Quinn - each recorded an RBI for the Rams.
- Sophomore Lou Distasio turned in his fifth quality start of the season, allowing just one run over 7.1 innings in the no-decision start. He finished the day with six strikeouts while allowing five hits and four walks.
- Redshirt freshman Ben Wessel came in and pitched two frames of one-hit ball to earn the win. He gave up one run on one hit with three K's before handing the ball to freshman Tyler Barss.
- Barss needed just three pitches to record the final two outs of the game and pick up the first save of his career.
- St. Bonaventure reliever Steven Klimek took the loss, allowing two runs (both earned) on two hits and a walk in the 10th inning. Klimek replaced Connor Gray, who had held the Rams to just three hits and one (unearned) run over nine complete frames.
The Rams and Bonnies return to Fred Handler Park to close out the series on Sunday at Noon.