Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), DeRegis (1B), Corn (3B), Gardella (DH), Hetzel (LF), Sherburne (RF), Livingston (C), Buonopane (CF), Warnock (2B), Distasio (P)
Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (C), Cullen (CF), Farrar (DH), Marino (1B), Crimi (2B), Howie (P)
How it Happened
VCU (30-10, 11-4 A-10) struck first, getting three runs on two singles, a double and a walk in the top of the third.
URI's Lou Distasio responded by retiring the next nine batters in a row, allowing just one hit through the next 4.1 innings.
Mike Sherburne led off for Rhode Island (7-31, 3-12 A-10) in the bottom of the seventh and had begun his trot down to first as he appeared to have drawn a four-pitch walk. However, he was called back to the plate as JoJo Howie's 3-0 offering got in for a strike. Sherburne then sent the next pitch he saw into the right field corner for a leadoff triple. Chase Livingston followed with an RBI single to plate Sherburne and get URI on the board. Livingston then advanced to second on a groundout by RJ Warnock before coming around to score on Tim Caputo's single through the right side.
VCU matched Rhody in the top of the eighth, though, scoring twice on two hits, two walks, and a hit batter for the 5-2 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- For the second day in a row, Rhode Island held the advantage in hits, recording nine to VCU's seven.
- Both teams stranded eight runners on the afternoon.
- Mike Sherburne led the way for Rhody, going 3-for-4 with a triple and a run scored. He now leads the team in extra-base hits with eight, on four doubles and four triples.
- Tim Caputo collected a pair of hits on the day, while also driving in a run.
- Chase Livingston contributed to both Rhode Island runs, driving in Sherburne and scoring on a single by Caputo.
- Sophomore starter Lou Distasio took the loss, allowing four runs on six hits over seven-plus innings. He stayed ahead in counts all day, throwing first-pitch strikes to 21 of the 29 batters he faced and finishing with eight strikeouts opposite just one walk.
- Three of Distasio's eight K's came against VCU power hitter Bill Cullen, who homered twice and collected four RBI in yesterday's game.
- JoJo Howie went the distance for VCU to collect his fifth win of the season. He allowed nine hits, struck out five and walked none.
- He is the sixth pitcher to throw a complete game against URI this season.
Rhody and VCU will return to Bill Beck Field to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.