Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), DeRegis (RF), Sherburne (CF), Corin (1B), Hetzel (LF) Gardella (DH), Livingston (C), Taveras (3B), Hopkins (2B), Distasio (P)
George Mason Lineup
Willis (CF), Gum (SS), Fernandez (3B), Tobin (LF), Leemhuis (RF), Toto (C), Hill (DH), Cook (2B), Foley (1B), Gaynor (P)
How it Happened
For the second game in a row, Rhode Island (6-27, 2-10) was unable to push across a run, falling to visiting George Mason by a score of 7-0 on Saturday afternoon. The Patriots (22-12, 9-3) took a 2-0 lead in the top of the third and managed to keep the Rams off the board in the bottom of the inning, where a double by Nick DeRegis put runners on second and third with two away. Rhode Island would manage just two hits the rest of the way - one in the seventh and one in the ninth.
Mason plated its final five runs in the eighth (3) and ninth (2), thanks in part to four wild pitches, three hit batters, a pair of walks and a throwing error by the Rams.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island finished with day with five hits - two of which came off the bat of redshirt freshman Mike Corin.
- In his only plate appearance of the day, freshman Dan Hetzel drew a four-pitch walk. It was the only walk issued by George Mason.
- Sophomore Lou Distasio was charged with the loss, allowing two runs on seven hits and four walks over a 5.2 inning start.
- Jared Gaynor earned the win for the Patriots, tossing his third complete game of the season and second complete game shutout.
- Gaynor needed just 107 pitches to get through the game while Distasio, sophomore Brad Applin and redshirt freshman Matt Ferraiolo combined to throw 192 for the Rams.
- Four different Patriots - Brandon Gum, Josh Leemhuis, Ray Toto and Mick Foley - finished with a pair of hits. Gum also drove in a pair of runs while Foley and Luke Willis scored twice.
The Rams and Patriots return to The Beck to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.