Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), O'Connell (C), Foreman (3B), Gardella (DH), Corin (1B), Sherburne (RF), Hetzel (LF), Nazarko (CF), Warnock (2B), Sterner (P)
O'Connor (LF), Runco (2B), Swatek (RF), McCunney (SS), Galiano (C), Edmiston (3B), Lundy (CF), Donadio (DH), DeVito (1B), Johnson (P)
How it Happened
Fordham (11-15, 3-4) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first, scoring a pair of runs on a one-out single by Rob McCunney.
Rhode Island (5-19, 1-4) quickly pulled ahead, getting three in the second as Mike Corin, Dan Hetzel and Mike Sherburne all crossed the plate to put the Rams in front, 3-2. Hetzel scored again in the fourth, making in a 4-2 game on an RBI single by Tim Caputo.
Hetzel got things started in the sixth as well, drawing a leadoff walk before being replaced by pinch runner Nick DeRegis. Jonathan Nazarko then laid down a sac-bunt but ended up reaching safely on a throwing error by Fordham catcher Charles Galiano, which allowed DeRegis to advance to third. RJ Warnock followed with a sacrifice fly that scored DeRegis to give Rhody a three-run cushion (5-2).
The advantage was short lived however, as Fordham put up a three-spot in the seventh, getting back-to-back RBI-doubles off of reliever Brendan Doonan and another off of Brad Applin to level the score at 5-5.
Rhode Island pushed back with two more in the bottom of the frame as Corin and Derek Gardella both scored when what would have been an inning-ending groundout rolled through the legs of Fordham second baseman Joseph Runco, allowing Rhode Island to take a 7-5 lead.
Fordham cut the score to one (7-6) in the top of the eighth and threatened to tie it back up with a runner on third, but a foul out to Corin at first ended the Rams' chances.
Nazarko led off the ninth with his first career hit - a single to right - and advanced to second on Warnock's third sacrifice of the day before scoring Rhody's final run of the game on an RBI-single by Shane O'Connell.
Inside the Box Score
- The win snapped Rhode Island's six-game slide and was the team's first Atlantic 10 victory of the season.
- Collectively, URI recorded 10 hits on the day, marking the first time the Rams hit in double digits since their last win (March 18 vs. Sacred Heart).
- Mike Corin doubled twice and scored twice in the win. Tim Caputo also had a pair of hits (one double) and two RBI.
- Dan Hetzel also crossed the plate twice, going 1-for-2 with an RBI.
- RJ Warnock had two RBI on an 0-for-1 day at the plate. He had a sac-fly, two sac-bunts and a foul out.
- Rhode Island starter Ty Sterner tossed a career-high 6.1 innings in his no-decision start, allowing just three hits and striking out four batters in arguably his best outing of the season.
- Catcher Shane O'Connell threw out a career-high three base runners while catching for Sterner.
- Brad Applin collected the win, closing out the game with 2.2 innings of relief and allowing just one unearned run. He struck out four and walked none.
- Fordham reliever J.C. Porter too the loss as he was responsible for URI's final three runs, despite only one being earned.
Rhody and Fordham return to The Beck for game two of the series, Saturday at 1 p.m.