Rhode Island Lineup
Caputo (SS), DeRegis (CF), Foreman (3B), Quinn ©, Gardella (DH), Lynch (3B), Sherburne (RF)O'Connell (LF), Taveras (2B), Moyers (P)
Saint Louis Lineup
Sole (SS), Bozarth (LF), Vigliarolo (1B), Martinez (3B), Murphy (RF), Frabasilio (DH), Brennan (CF), Henson (C), Brunselmeyer (2B), Bates (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (4-15, 0-2) took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second when junior Mike Sherburne scored on a sac-fly by freshman Martin Taveras.
Saint Louis (13-8, 2-0) quickly pulled ahead, however, going up 2-1 after Michael Bozarth crossed the plate on a dropped fly ball and Mike Vigliarolo scored from first on an RBI-triple by Braxton Martinez.
The Billikens added another in the top of the fifth with Alec Sole making it 3-1 on groundout by Martinez.
URI got a run back in the bottom of the eighth as Derek Gardella drove in Connor Foreman to cut the Rams' deficit to one at 3-2. Junior Mike Sherburne then doubled down the left field line to lead off the bottom of the ninth, before taking third on a sac-bunt by senior Shane O'Connell. However, that's as close as the Rams would get as a pop-up and a strikeout ended the game with the tying run on third base.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island finished with day with five hits to Saint Louis' eight.
- There were three errors in the game - two for URI and one for SLU. All three miscues came in left field.
- The Billikens scored runs in both innings where URI had errors. Similarly, SLU's error came in the eighth, when the Rams scored their second run of the game.
- Junior Mike Sherburne went 2-for-4 and scored one of Rhody's two runs on the afternoon.
- Junior Nick DeRegis reached twice - via hit and walk - to extend his reached base streak to nine games.
- The Rhode Island pitching staff - sophomores Steve Moyers and Brad Applin as well as redshirt freshman Blaise Whitman - held SLU's Mike Vigliarolo to a 0-for-5 day at the plate. The Billikens' power hitter entered the day leading the Atlantic 10 in hits (30) and total bases (47) and ranked second in doubles (8), home runs (3), RBI (20) and slugging percentage (.573).
- Senior Shane O'Connell and redshirt sophomore Derek Gardella accounted for the other two Rhode Island hits on the afternoon. Gardella also drove in a run and is now tied with senior Pat Quinn for the team lead with eight.
- Sophomore starter Steve Moyers was charged with the loss, scattering seven hits and allowing three runs (one earned) on the afternoon. He struck out four batters and did not issue a walk over seven complete innings.
- Despite taking the loss, Moyers lowered his ERA from 3.33 to 2.91.
- Redshirt freshman Blaise Whitman tossed a hitless eighth before sophomore Brad Applin retired Saint Louis' offensive leaders - Alec Sole, Mike Vigliarolo and Braxton Martinez - in the top of the ninth.
- SLU's Nick Bates earned the win, allowing just three runs and one run over a 6.0-inning start. Matt Eckelman did not allow an earned run over the final three to pick up his Atlantic 10 leading sixth save of the year.
- Bates and Eckelman combined to throw 141 pitches while Moyers, Whitman and Applin combined for 140.
The Rams and Billikens return to The Beck to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.