Posted: Mar 21, 2014
- Rhode Island: 4-13 (0-0 Atlantic 10)
- Saint Louis: 11-8 (0-0 Atlantic 10)
- Location: Kingston, R.I. - Bill Beck Field
- Date: March 21-23
- First Pitch: Friday at 3 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m., Sunday at Noon
- Coverage (all three games): Live Stats, Twitter, Audio (WRIU 90.3 FM/online stream)
- Rhode Island is 9-4 in the all-time series vs. Saint Louis.
- The last time the teams met - during the 2011 season - the Rams took two of three from the Billikens at Bill Beck Field.
- Senior Nick Narodowy is the only Rhode Island player who has played against SLU as he struck out three over 2.2 innings of relief work in the 2011 series opener.
The Weekend's Pitching Matchups
- Game 1 - Friday, March 21 - 3 p.m.
- Rhode Island - LHP Ty Sterner
- Saint Louis - RHP James Norwood
- Game 2 - Saturday, March 22 - 1 p.m.
- Rhode Island - LHP Steve Moyers
- Saint Louis - RHP Nick Bates
- Game 3 - Sunday, March 23 - Noon
- Rhode Island - TBA
- Saint Louis - LHP Josh Moore
Scouting the Rams
- Rhode Island is 1-1 at The Beck this season, most recently staging a ninth-inning comeback to walk off with a 10-9 win over Sacred Heart on Tuesday afternoon.
- Offensively, Rhody is led by junior Tim Caputo who is batting .436 with a team-best 17 hits, despite missing two weeks with an injury.
- Redshirt sophomore Derek Gardella is the only other Ram batting over .300 as he is 12-for-33 (.364) with seven RBI and five runs scored.
- Senior Pat Quinn and junior Nick DeRegis lead URI with four extra-base hits each. Quinn has three doubles and the team's only homer while DeRegis has hit three doubles and a triple.
- Freshmen Matt Ferraiolo, Blaise Whitman and Tyler Barss have combined to allow just four earned runs over 17 innings of relief work.
- Six different first-year players - freshmen Dan Hetzel (14), RJ Warnock (13), David Hopkins (12), Martin Taveras (9) and juniors Mike Sherburne (12) and Nick DeRegis (12) - have started in at least of half of URI's 17 games this year. Additionally, freshman TJ Lynch and Chris Hess have started eight games apiece while senior Andre Malone has started seven.
- Through 17 games this season, the Rams have used 17 different batting orders and 17 different defensive lineups.
Scouting the Billikens
- Defending Atlantic 10 Champion Saint Louis comes to Rhode Island having won three of its last four games, and eight of its last 10.
- The Billikens have outscored their opponents 101-89 so far this season, thanks in part to a quartet of power hitters: Mike Vigliarolo (7 doubles, three homers, 18 RBI), Braxton Martinez (six doubles, two homers, 12 RBI), Danny Murphy (four doubles, three homers, one triple, 12 RBI) and Danny Brennan (two doubles, two homers, one triple, 13 RBI). Vigliarolo, Murphy and Brennan have started in each of SLU's 19 games while Martinez has made 17 starts.
- As a staff, the Saint Louis pitchers have struck out 117 batters over 19 games while combining for a 4.09 ERA and a .245 opposing average.
- James Norwood and Nick Bates - SLU's Friday and Saturday starters, respectively - each boast a 2-0 record. Norwood is holding opponents to a .208 average while Bates is slightly better at .195.
- Reliever Matt Eckelman has made eight appearances and leads the team with five saves. He also has a 1-1 record on the season.
- Defensively, Saint Louis has combined for just 13 errors so far this season.