Mar 10, 2014
- Rhode Island: 2-10 (0-0 Atlantic 10)
- UMass Lowell: 5-2 (0-0 America East)
- Location: Kingston, R.I. - Bill Beck Field
- Date: March 11
- First Pitch: 3:00 p.m.
- Coverage: Live Stats, Twitter
- Rhode Island is 1-0 in the all-time series vs. UMass Lowell.
- The last time the teams met, the Rams defeated the River Hawks, 10-0, last season at The Beck (March 26, 2013).
- In that game, Rhode Island recorded 16 hits while holding UMass Lowell to just two on the afternoon.
- The Rams also racked up 11 stolen bases in the win.
- Milan Mantle tossed six scoreless innings to earn the W.
- Offensively, Tim Caputo and Connor Foreman each had three hits for URI. Caputo also drove in a pair of runs while Foreman scored twice.
Scouting the Rams
- For the first time this season, Rhode Island (2-10) will be playing on its home field.
- In their only game as the home team this season, the Rams used a ninth-inning rally to defeat Marshall, 6-5, in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Offensively, Rhody is led by junior Tim Caputo who was batting .563 (9-16) over the first four games before missing the next two weeks with an injury.
- Freshman Martin Taveras and redshirt senior Shane O'Connell are tied for the team lead with nine hits apiece.
- Freshmen Evan Flanagan, Matt Ferraiolo, Blaise Whitman, Taso Stathopoulos and Ben Wessel have combined to allow just two earned runs over 20 innings of relief work.
- Eight different first-year players - freshmen Dan Hetzel (12), RJ Warnock (9), Martin Taveras (8), David Hopkins (8) and Chris Hess (6), juniors Mike Sherburne (8) and Nick DeRegis (7) and senior Andre Malone (7) - have started in at least of half of URI's 12 games this year.
- Through 12 games this season, the Rams have used 12 different batting orders and 12 different defensive lineups.
Scouting the River Hawks
- UMass Lowell comes to Rhode Island after posting an impressive 3-1 record at the Virginia Tech Tournament, Feb. 28 - March 3. The River Hawks took two games from Cincinnati (1-0, 6-2) and split a pair with the Hokies (W, 6-4; L, 4-3).
- UML has outscored its opponents 33-19 so far this season, thanks in part to a 14-3 season-opening win over Temple.
- Danny Mendick is batting .400 with a team-best 10 hits and five RBI. Geoff DeGroot and Ian Strom each have recorded seven hits and three runs. Strom enters the game with five RBI and DeGroot four.
- As a staff, the River Hawk pitchers have struck out 50 batters over seven games while combining for a 2.36 ERA.
- UMass Lowell is in its first season competing at the NCAA Division I level.