Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Foreman (1B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), O'Connell (C), Quinn (DH), Lee (RF), Landi (3B), Moyers (P)
George Washington's Starting Lineup
Albright (2B), Parkmond (C), Beightol (LF), McCarthy (RF), Kalman (3B), Townsend (1B), Murakami (SS), Brown (DH), Hickey (CF), Weisberg (P)
How it Happened
Fifth-seeded George Washington (26-31) took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth when Justin Albright stole third and then scored after catcher Shane O'Connell's throw down got past third baseman Joe Landi and rolled out into left field.
The third-seeded Rams (35-24) got the run back in their next trip to the plate as Jesse Lee's RBI-groundout plated Shane O'Connell to make it a 1-1 game.
The Colonials advanced a runner to third with one away in the bottom of the inning but lightning struck at 9:52 p.m., commencing a one hour and 38 minute weather delay before the game was officially suspended until morning.
Resuming play at 10 a.m., Ty Sterner took the mound in place of Steve Moyers and got Rhody out of the jam after a 4-3 groundout and an inning-ending strikeout. The Rams then pulled ahead in the top of the sixth when Pat Fortunato's double plated Jeff Roy to put URI on top 2-1.
However, the Colonials responded in the bottom of the seventh with a two-run shot from Derek Brown that gave GW a 3-2 advantage.
The Rams rallied back in the top of the ninth as Fortunato led off with a single to center and O'Connell followed with a four-pitch walk. Pat Quinn then singled to load the bases for Chris Famiglietti, who drove a ball through the right side to plate Fortunato and tie things up at three apiece. Landi then singled to score Famiglietti, which gave Rhody a one-run lead (4-3).
Bobby Dean retired the first GW batter in the bottom of the frame, but a Rhody error allowed Mike Murakami to reach first and spark the Colonial's late comeback. Brown was then walked and Nolan Lodden recorded a pinch-hit single to left to load the bases with one away. Dean then walked in the tying run on a five-pitch at-bat to Justin Albright before Xavier Parkmond delivered an infield single to push across the winning run.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island finished with 10 hits to GW's eight. Meanwhile, the Rhody pitching staff combined for six strikeouts while the Colonials recorded just four.
- Pat Quinn led the Rams with a 3-for-4 showing at the plate.
- Pat Fortunato and Joe Landi each had a pair of hits and an RBI. Fortunato also scored a run for the Rams.
- Shane O'Connell reached twice - on a base hit and a walk - and came around to score both times.
- Steve Moyers tossed 4.1 innings in a no-decision start for the Rams. He allowed just three hits and one run while striking out three batters.
- Ty Sterner did not allow a hit, but gave up one run on a pair of walks over 1.2 innings of relief.
- Bobby Dean was charged with the loss as he was responsible for both the tying and winning run in the bottom of the ninth. He allowed one hit and walked two.
- The Rams finish their season with 35 wins - the tying the 2004 team for second most in program history.