Rhody's Starting Lineup
Caputo (SS), Toy (CF), LeBel (3B), Fortunato (2B), Livingston (1B), Quinn (C), Gardella (DH), Famiglietti (LF), Furney (P)
Charlotte's Starting Lineup
Elseser (LF), Green (CF), Basen (SS), Elwood (2B), Seager (3B), Montalbano (RF), Lang (C), Gallello (DH), Dunnegan (1B), Hamilton (P)
How it Happened
- Second-seeded Charlotte (36-21) struck first as Brad Elwood plated Shane Basen with a two-out double down the right field line in the bottom of the first inning. The third-seeded Rams (35-23) leveled the score in the top of the third when Chris Famiglietti doubled to left center and then crossed the plate on an RBI-single by Tim Caputo.
- However, Charlotte moved ahead with a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the fourth, and added another in the fifth for a 4-1 advantage.
- The Rams loaded the bases with one away in the sixth - and advanced a runner to third in the seventh - but Rhody did not score again until the eighth when Caputo led off with a double and later came home on a double-play ball by Shane O'Connell.
- The 49ers tacked on their final run in the bottom of the eighth as Brad Elwood drew a one-out walk, advanced to second on a failed pickoff attempt, took third on a wild pitch and later scored on another wild pitch to cap off the 5-2 Charlotte victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Four of Charlotte's five runs on the afternoon were unearned as the Rams matched their season high with five errors.
- Errors aside, the two teams put up similar numbers as Rhody finished with five hits to Charlotte's six. The Rams pitchers combined for four strikeouts and one walk while John Hamilton fanned five and walked one in his complete game victory.
- Tim Caputo went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored. He was the only Ram to drive in a run as he plated Chris Famiglietti in the bottom of the third.
- Brad Elwood was the game changer for Charlotte, going 3-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Sean Furney took the loss, despite allowing just one earned run over seven innings of work. He struck out four and did not issue a walk to the 29 batters he faced.
- URI is now 0-5 when facing Charlotte at the Atlantic 10 Championship, and 6-14 overall against the 49ers. Only two of the 20 games between the teams has been decided by more than four runs.
Rhode Island returns to Hayes Stadium later tonight for an 8:30 p.m. elimination game vs. fifth-seeded George Washington.