Rhody's Starting Lineup
Famiglietti (LF), Caputo (SS), Roy (CF), LeBel (3B), Quinn (1B), Fortunato (2B), Stenhouse (RF), Livingston (DH), O'Connell (C), O'Sullivan (P)
Wake Forest's Starting Lineup
Stephens (CF), Keniry (2B), Blair (SS), Morgan (DH), Conway (1B), Harris (RF), Armour (C), Jordan (LF), Rhine (3B), McCoy (P)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (2-11) got on the board first, taking a 2-0 lead in the third as freshman Chase Livingston and redshirt junior Shane O'Connell both crossed the plate after drawing back-to-back walks. Wake Forest (10-8) quickly evened the score, however, scoring two runs of its own in the bottom of the frame.
The Demon Deacons added three more in the bottom of the fifth, before a two-run double by redshirt senior Mike LeBel closed the gap and made it 5-4 in the top of the six. Wake tacked on three more in the bottom of the sixth though, taking advantage of five walks and two wild pitches to move ahead 8-4.
Rhody made it 8-5 in the top of the seventh - on Livingston's second run of the game - but Wake Forest answered again in the bottom of the frame scoring its final run of the game on a solo shot by Matt Conway.
Inside the Box Score:
- Redshirt junior Shane O'Connell reached base three times for the Rams, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored. He also also threw out two Wake Forest runners attempting to steal.
- Freshman Chase Livingston was the only other Ram to reach more than once as he singled, walked and scored twice.
- Redshirt senior Mike LeBel and sophomore Tim Caputo each finished with two RBI on the night. LeBel's both came on a sixth-inning double while Caputo had a pair of run-scoring sac-flys.
- Freshman Brad Applin closed out the game with two innings of scoreless relief. He gave up just one hit and recorded one strikeout.
- Junior Liam O'Sullivan was charged with the loss, allowing five runs (all earned) on six hits over 4.2 innings. He also struck out three batters and recorded his first pickoff of the season.
- Wake Forest reliever Nate Jones earned the win, going 4.0 innings with five hits and three runs (two earned). Starter Mark McCoy did not allow a hit over his 4.0 innings pitched. He struck out five and walked three.
- Wake's 9-3 hitters accounted for the majority of the Demon Deacons' offense, as they combined for six hits, seven RBI and five runs.
- Overall, Wake Forest outhit Rhody, 8-6.
- Both teams stranded five runners on the night.
- Rhode Island issued 10 walks and threw five wild pitches. Wake's three pitchers combined to walk just four batters.
Rhody travels to UNC Greensboro for a 4 p.m. game on Wednesday afternoon.