Rhody's Starting Lineup
Roy (CF), Caputo (SS), Quinn (DH), LeBel (3B), Stenhouse (RF), Fortunato (2B), O'Connell (C), Foreman (1B), Famiglietti (LF), Furney (P)
ETSU's Starting Lineup
Green (CF), Thompson (LF), Freeman (1B), Niesmal (2B), Riopedre (SS), Powers (DH), Taylor (RF), Hershey (C), Sanford (3B), Doane
How it Happened:
ESTU took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second, when a misplayed liner to short allowed the Buccaneers to tally the first run of the game. The Bucs plated two more unearned runs in the bottom of the sixth, after a botched 1-6-3 double-play attempt prolonged the inning and eventually allowed a pair of runners to score. ETSU then tacked on two more in the bottom of the eighth for the 5-0 victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the win, ETSU improves to 9-3 while Rhode Island drops to 2-10.
- Pat Quinn reached base three times for URI, going 2-for-3 with a walk.
- Tim Caputo and Kevin Stenhouse recorded Rhody's only other hits of the game.
- ETSU finished with 10 hits to Rhody's four.
- Sean Furney took the loss, allowing eight hits and three runs (all unearned) over a 6.0 inning start. He struck out two and walked none. Over his last 20.1 innings pitched, Furney has fanned 12 while issuing just four free passes.
- Kerry Doane went the distance for ETSU, scattering four hits and recording five strikeouts to improve to 3-0 on the season.
- Derek Niesman, Jeremy Taylor and Mason Hershey each had a pair of hits for the Bucs. Niesman also scored twice while Taylor finished with two RBI.
The Rams and Bucs return to Thomas Stadium to close out the two-game set tomorrow night at 6 p.m.