The University of Rhode Island Department of Athletics will recognize the Builders Surplus Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2015-16 academic year. Each Monday, the top male and female performers from the previous week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Ryan Oakley - Men's Soccer
Senior - Norwich, England
- Had a hand in both Rhode Island goals in Saturday's 2-1 double-overtime victory over Duquesne (URI's only game of the week).
- Played all 106 minutes in the win.
- Curled in a free kick from 25 yards out to register his first goal of the season and give Rhody a 1-0 lead in the 18th minute.
- Assisted on the game-winner in the 106th minute as his cross was headed in by Tyler Dickson.
- The game-winning assist marked the ninth time in the last two seasons that he set up a game-winner.
- The three points were huge for the Rams as the victory guaranteed URI a spot in the conference championship.
Layne Self - Volleyball
Junior - Hawthorn Woods, Ill.
- Recorded 10 blocks in a 1-1 week for the Rams.
- Blocked nine attempts in a win over second-place Saint Louis and had a solo agaisnt first-place Dayton.
- Added 19 kills (1.90 per set) and posted a .385 attack percentage (19K/4E/39TA).
- Averaged 2.45 points per set.
- Currently ranks seventh all-time at Rhode Island with 356 career blocks.
- Is second in the A-10 with a .364 hitting percentage and is ninth in blocks with 1.00 per set.
Previous Builders Surplus Student-Athletes of the Week (2015-16)
- Sept. 28 - Alyssa Brehler (women's cross country), Billy Walthouse (golf)
- Oct. 5 - Audrey Castro (volleyball), Emil Jesmen Sunde (men's soccer), Harold Cooper (football)
- Oct. 12 - Elizaveta Sadovnikova (tennis), Tez Wilson (football)
- Oct. 19 - Franki Darnold (volleyball), Dominik Richter (men's soccer)
- Oct. 26 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Billy Walthouse (golf)