Posted: Nov 24, 2014
The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics will recognize select Student-Athletes of the Week
throughout the 2014-15 academic year. Each Monday, the top
performers from the previous week will be featured on
E.C. Matthews - Men's Basketball
Sophomore - Detroit, Mich.
- Poured in a game-high 26 points as Rhode Island downed #21 Nebraska, 66-62 in overtime Saturday night.
- It was his 10th career game with 20 or more points and second game with more than 25 points.
- 22 of his 26 points came in the final 25 minutes of play, through the second half and overtime periods.
- Also grabbed 10 rebounds for his second collegiate double-double, while adding two assists, a blocked shot and a steal in 38 minutes of play.
- Connected on 11-of-14 from the free throw line, none bigger than his two makes with 4 seconds remaining, which iced the win for the Rams.
- The victory was Rhode Island’s first over a nationally ranked opponent since Dec. 2, 1998 and improved the Rams’ overall record to 3-0 on the season.
Freshman - West Babylon,
- Scored a career-high 23 points to lead Rhode Island its first win of the season, a 75-66 victory over UMass Lowell.
- Also had six rebounds, four assists and four steals in the only game of the week for the Rams.
- Scored 15 of her points after halftime.
- Made 11-of-13 free throws in the game, including including 4-of-4 in the final minute.
- Currently leads Rhode Island in scoring with 13.7 points per game.
Previous GoRhody.com Student-Athletes of the Week
- Nov. 17 - Mike Casey (men's soccer), Lyle McCombs (football), Alexa Pelletier (cross country)
- Nov. 10 - Franki Darnold (volleyball), Entire Men's Soccer Team
- Nov. 3 - Alexa Pelletier (women's cross country), Tim Weinclaw (football)
- Oct. 27 - Andrew Bose (football), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer), Kathleen Uy (tennis)
- Oct. 20 - Katie Nickles (women's soccer), Matt Sykes (men' soccer)
- Oct. 13 - Robbie Jackson (football), Ryan Oakley (men's soccer), Alexa Pelletier (women's cross country)
- Oct. 6 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Nils Leifhelm (men's soccer)
- Sept. 29 - Nils Leifhelm (men's soccer), Alexa Pelletier (women's cross country)
- Sept. 22 - Nicole Brennan (women's soccer), Joe Leavitt (golf), Matt Sykes (men's soccer)
- Sept. 15 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Nils Leifhelm (men's soccer)
- Sept. 8 - Franki Darnold (volleyball), Dante Lamb (men's soccer), Donika Murray (women's soccer)