The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Chaya Zabludoff – Swimming &
Rancho Palos Verdes,
- Swam alongside teammates Emily Thomesen and Colette Aubin at the USA Winter National Championship in Knoxville, Tenn., marking the first time in program history that Rhody swimmers qualify and compete at the national meet.
- Finished the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:49.63 - less then a second off the Rhode Island record.
- Just missed the 500-yard freestyle finals, finishing 26th overall (4:53.79).
- 500-free time is best in the Atlantic 10 so far this year,
200-free time is second among all A-10 swimmers.
Xavier Munford - Men's Basketball
Hillside, N.J./Iowa Western
- Averaged 16.5 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.0 assist in two games last week.
- Had 11 points, four rebounds, an assist and a steal against Providence on Thursday.
- Registered a game-high 22 points - his third 20+ point performance of the season - at Detroit on Sunday.
- Tied his season-high with nine field goals at Detroit.
- Leads all active A-10 players with 14 games of 20 or more points, dating back to the start of the 2012-13.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)